37. Unwanted Gestures

As Estelle had said, the library in Rhys and Feyre's estate was smaller than the one at the Palace, but that made it infinitely cozier. Mikael lounged on a chair, skimming through a book he'd found intriguing. Corbin and Lysander were playing a game of chess close by. Calden snored away on a sofa.

    Feyre and Nesta were there as well, reading books of their own. Mikael had to stifle a smile when he saw that Nesta was reading Lonely Sings the Nightingale. Judging by the condition of the book, it was a favorite of hers too.

    Mikael looked up as the library door opened. Rhysand entered, accompanied by Nyx. Rhysand was holding a letter. "What is it?" Feyre straightened at once.

    Rhysand lifted the letter with a grin. "Lucien just sent this. Eris and Evren's baby has arrived. Castiel Vanserra."

    Feyre smiled happily. "That's wonderful, but she was expected to give birth earlier. Are they both all right?"

    Rhysand nodded. "Lucien said there were no complications. They're both doing fine."

    "The child simply chose to be late," Nesta chuckled. "He is definitely Eris' son."

    "I'll be sure to include that in my response," Rhysand laughed. "Care to help me, Feyre Darling?"

    "Of course." She set her book aside and took her mate's arm, following him out of the library. After a moment, Nesta joined them.

    "So the Autumn Court finally has an heir," Corbin said. "Let's hope he grows up less of a prick than Eris."

    "Eris is a saint compared to how he used to be, if our parents' stories are to be believed," Lysander pointed out.

    Nyx dropped into a chair beside Mikael's. "His son's birthday is right before yours. Speaking of which, was there something in particular you'd like to do to celebrate?"

    Mikael shook his head. "We've never really held celebrations for my birthday. My fathers and I just spent time together, or Calden, Celeste, and Sienna dragged me to the dance hall in Nimbus."

    "You've never had a real party?" Corbin asked, arching a brow.

    "My fathers tried when I was little, but hardly anyone would show up. I'm a bastard, remember?"

    "That shouldn't matter," Nyx replied through gritted teeth. "We should do something."

    Mikael shook his head again. "We don't need to."

    Calden sat up, rubbing his eyes wearily. "They're right, Mikael. You only turn 124 once." Mikael rolled his eyes.

    Lysander thought for a moment. "What if we combined a celebration for you and Estelle? Her birthday is in just a few days. I'm sure she won't mind if we celebrate a little early."

    "I..." Mikael began.

    "Don't even try to argue," Nyx interrupted. "You're getting a party."

    "All right," Mikael sighed with a smile.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Estelle pouted on her bed while Celeste and Sienna dug through her closet. Seren watched them from the doorway, hiding a smile. "You weren't kidding," Celeste huffed, crossing her arms. "You don't have very many dresses at all."

    "I told you. I rarely have any need for them."

    "Mor has offered to take her dress shopping, but she refuses," Seren said.