72. The idea of love

Robb Stark - Dragonstone

Ever since the Red Witch arrived, Robb has found himself unable to sleep. He'd manage to pass out from exhaustion a couple of times, but the dreams that came did not bear him Rosalie's smile. Instead, he saw Rosalie on her knees in tears. He didn't recognize the surroundings, only the ground covered in snow. 

Robb would reach for her, call her name, he'd try to console her, but to no avail. Rosalie couldn't hear him, she couldn't even see him. She'd choke on her tears, sobbing louder and louder as Robb got more desperate. Once her sobs turned to screams, he'd wake with face wet from his own tears. 

It felt like a never ending nightmare that continued long into the day as the sound of her cries echoed in his mind. Following meetings has been difficult for his attention would often wander to the pain in his heart caused by the distressing dreams. A part of him couldn't help but wonder if the repeating dream is somewhat of a warning - is it something he can prevent from happening?

Snapping fingers before his blank stare startled Robb back to reality. Blinking fast, he pressed his lips in a thin line and looked at Tyrion in surprise.

"You're not even listening!" Tyrion raises his voice in frustration, giving Robb a disapproving look. "And here I was, trying to do a good deed."

Clearing his throat, Robb's eyebrows furrow. "Do you mind repeating that?"

Huffing in annoyance, Tyrion grabs his cup and takes a big chug of the wine inside. Robb's never quite liked wine, or any of the substances most men like to get drunk on. To risk losing control and doing something unfavorable for his name and character terrified him. He'd never want that for himself.

Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, Tyrion looks to Robb. "I'm trying to warn you of the soon arrival of all the allies. Including Olenna Tyrell."

Swallowing thickly, Robb nods. "Just her?"

"Rosalie isn't in Highgarden, Robb." Tyrion glances at the door to ensure they're alone. "She's gone to Winterfell. She answered Sansa's call for help and aided in the Battle of Bastards."

Raising his eyebrows, a smile creeps up on Robb's face. Usually he'd shake his head at the recklessness she possesses, but it undeniably warmed his heart now. She's been taking care of his family long after he's betrayed her. In a way, he found it to be a glimmer of hope that she still holds him in her heart. Perhaps it isn't too late after all.

"Rosalie has always been a force to be reckoned with", Robb replies, nostalgia for the olden days evident in his tone. How foolish and immature was he when he first started on the path of war? How unaware of the tragedies it would bring about? Rosalie had warned him, but he didn't listen. He betrayed her in that manner as well. 

"That's true." Tyrion smirks. "I honestly believe if she willed it, she could rule the seven kingdoms."

Rubbing his forehead, Robb sighs. "I do too. It honestly worries me."

"That she'd be the queen or that she wouldn't want you by her side?" Tyrion asks, far too interested in the cause behind the deep frown on Robb's forehead.

Snorting, Robb bites his lower lip. "Both", he smiles. "I suppose I'm rather aware she must have moved on. It's been quite a long time since we were together."