30. Sunsets

Rosalie 

The road feels longer, the destination further with each new step I take. Two years of time wasted. Ten thousand miles if not more of distance between us and the cold grows inside me, the pain acting as frostbite on my soul. Robb isn't mine anymore, yet I can't stop screaming out his name in my dreams. His or Jon's, as Brienne informs me daily.

I'm scarred, the memories playing inside my head. A piece of my heart is still on hold, desperately hoping for a reunion. With who, I wonder?

Jaime's been surprisingly tolerable, though still awful to Brienne. But he doesn't mention Robb nor recalls my mistakes anymore. I'm still unsure if Robb could be called a mistake, but he's surely a painful, very fresh wound on my heart.

"Are you alright, little rose?" Jaime sighs, settling beside me. 

I turn away from the sunset I've been staring at with the hope Robb sees it too, showing a meek smile to the once proud Lannister. Well, he's still proud, just a little bruised. I suppose we both are.

"Is that a hint of caring I sense, Jaime?" Cocking an eyebrow, I smirk at his annoyed roll of those beautiful eyes of his and enjoy the way his tongue crosses his lips, leaving them refreshed. 

"Is it such a crime?" Jaime raises his left eyebrow, a hint of a smile passing his wet lips as he leans in. "To care for you?" He continues and I gulp, glancing at the ground before daring to make eye contact once again.

Jaime has the uncanny ability to make the hardest, most collected souls, squirm. As always, I couldn't deny he had that effect on me as well. There was a short time period when I genuinely craved his presence and now? It feels like a betrayal. With all I've come to know about him and his deeds, even sympathy for Jaime Lannister feels incredibly wrong.

Blinking, I shake my head and smile. "I suppose not." Licking my lips, I turn back to the setting sun with a quivering bottom lip. "I simply forgot what it feels like."

Wrapping arms around myself, I rest my chin atop my knees and halt a shuddered breath in my throat. I cannot cry in front of Jaime Lannister of all people. I won't be seen as the vulnerable, emotional woman ever again.

"Well, then, keep in my I do." Jaime looks to the horizon too, noticing I'm nearly at my breaking point. "Care, I mean." 

Glancing his way, I nod curtly before turning my attention back to the sun, realizing the sun setting is a perfect metaphor for my relationship with Robb. It was beautiful, but it's over. At least for now, I find myself in the darkness losing a lover can cause. 

But that's alright. As long as he lives and his heart beats as well as mine, my heart can bear this. 

Clearing my throat, I stand. "I should help Brienne with the fire." 

"I think I'll be here a while longer." Jaime doesn't even glance my way as he stares at the last sunrays of the day, the ghosts of his past haunting him as well. Perhaps we're more alike than I originally thought.

Jon - Beyond the wall

Jon is weary, his heart pounding as he follows Ygritte to the bustling wildling camp. A giant walks by, carrying a bundle of huge stakes and Jon's mouth falls open, unsure if he should run for his life or be in awe that giants still exist and aren't fable as he once thought.

"First time you've seen a giant, Jon Snow?" Ygritte laughs as Jon nods, unable to speak from both excitement and shock.