108. Long goodbyes

Jaime Lannister 

In front of the flickering glow of a large fireplace, Jaime and Tyrion enjoy the warm embrace of flames casting an ambient light upon the room.

The crackle of the fire provides a soothing sound, blending with the gentle clinks of their bottles as they indulge in a well-deserved drink. The scent of oak and ember hangs in the air, mingling with the aroma of aged wine. It's just as Tyrion likes it.

Jaime leans back in his chair. His eyes, a reflective shade of moss green, carry weariness he cannot seem to shake. Ever since he arrived in Winterfell, he's spent every waking moment near Rosalie, afraid of taking his eyes off her. Until now. The Stark family have their claws deep inside her, pulling her away from him and usually he'd mind but today he felt relieved. After all the loss Rosalie suffered, she found a family in Winterfell - something Jaime can't offer her. Between Cersei who'd relish in the sight of Rosalie's head on a pike and Tyrion whose allegiance to Daenerys endangers Rosalie's safety and claim on both Winterfell and Highgarden, it's safe to say what's left of the Lannisters would not be a family Rosalie needs. 

"So Rosalie is to leave Winterfell, and Brienne's going to stay here with you?" Tyrion raises his eyebrow."

"Brienne's sworn to protect the Stark girls, while Rosalie is sworn to protect Winterfell", Jaime shrugs. "But I do not believe Rosalie will leave."

"And why is that?"

Licking his lips, Jaime presses them in a tight-lipped smile. "Because Robb is here."

"She's left him before, you know? If I recall well, she's left him with you by her side twice now."

A half-smile plays on Jaime's lips as he takes a sip, the liquid fire of the wine warming his senses. "I know. But Robb wasn't dying then and he wasn't her husband."

"Have you seen him?"

"I've spent more time with Robb than any other person lately. Rosalie doesn't count, of course."

"Is it quite as bad as everyone's whispering? Daenerys wanted to see him, but she was denied entry several times."

Staring at the fire ahead of them, Jaime's face darkens. "Daenerys is not his wife nor his family. She should allow those who are to spend their time with him in peace...so they can say their goodbyes."

"You're certain he's to die?" Tyrion lowers his tone. "If that's true, I don't think the North will survive."

"What does that mean?" 

"Daenerys will not give up the North. Jon bent the knee and ever since, she's considered the North hers." Tyrion glances toward the ajar door, making certain no one's paying their conversation any mind. "Rosalie cannot rely on her short-lived marriage as any security regarding Winterfell's throne."

"We're aware", Jaime closes his eyes as he remembers what Sansa suggested to Rosalie. The first time he agreed with a Stark...or is it Lannister? Tyrion and Sansa never divorced, did they?

"In that case, do you really think Rosalie will sit beside a man who is going to leave this world when everything she has left will be endangered when he takes his last breath? She's not naive nor stupid, brother. Rosalie Stark will soon be Rosalie Tyrell and when that happens, she will have to fight to survive."

Jaime lifts the bottle to his lips, the wine glinting in the firelight, and takes a long, deep sip, the liquid warmth cascading down his throat in a large gulp. If she goes to King's Landing, she'll be caught between Cersei and Daenerys, both praying for a moment they can remove her head from her delicate shoulders. Jaime's been counting on Rosalie's inability to leave her husband, but now...How the fuck would he stay in Winterfell if she goes south?