33. Trauma

Rosalie - The Riverlands

Some people lose consciousness at the sight of blood. Some people go into shock after a traumatic event. Some even block it out. 

I could do no such thing.

Jaime's screams have seared into my mind, repeating in a cycle that's constantly refurnished with new agonizing whimpers and desperate wails that last all through the night. Jaime wasn't the type to lose consciousness, nor was I the type to block it all out. But we're both the type to go into shock. 

I look to him with tears in my eyes, they simply won't stop spilling over. It's as if a dam broke and it allowed all the accumulated, suppressed emotions to run wild. All the things I've been unable to speak about is rushing through me and I can't do much but let it run it's course.

Jaime's cries stop at dawn, but my tears don't dry. 

Finally untied, I rush toward him and though the men around us have their weapons at ready, I don't care. Falling to my knees beside him, I try to ignore the blood I'm kneeling in. 

"Jaime." I breathe out and he raises his head, barely opening his eyes. 

Holding my breath, my heart sinks at the sight of him. He's no longer the brave, arrogant golden lion I once knew. The Jaime I knew is lost.

"Come on", I let out a shuddered breath, taking his arm and placing it around my shoulders. Grabbing onto his chest, embracing him, I push him up with all my remaining strength. Shortly, Jaime helps me out, managing to pull himself up while using me as a crutch. 

"I'll help you." I whisper, noting a slight nod on his behalf. Mute, he looks ahead at the horse readied for him. 

"What do you think you're doing?" Locke raises an eyebrow, stopping us just a few steps short from reaching the horse. 

"Helping Ser Jamie up. You've done enough damage." I spit at his feet and the next thing I know I'm back on the wooden ground, my left cheek stinging. "Real tough, aren't you? Hitting a lady without giving her a fair chance to defend herself?" I tease, standing up. 

"Is that tongue of yours how you earned The King's attention? I'm sure it's good for more than just talking back." Locke laughs, his men joining in. 

Glancing at Jaime, I see his eyes are open and focused on me. A silent plea hides under his once confident gaze, he doesn't want me to get hurt. 

"I just want to give him a hand up. Once I sit, you're free to tie us up again." 

But my words sparked a different idea than what I had in mind. "A hand? Oh, we'll give him a hand!" Locke cackles as one of his men approaches us, only to reveal a severed hand tied on a rope.

"No." I breathe out, eyes widening as I realize what they're doing. This is plain cruel. I wish I could talk to Robb and tell him what became of his troops. Is this the army he's trying to present as fair and just?

Despite my efforts, they forced Jaime to carry his own hand around his neck, alone on a horse. Brienne and I ride beside him through the woods, neither of us sure what we could say to help him. We're both useless now. 

Brienne swore to protect Jaime and bring him back to King's landing and I set off with them so it would be assured, yet here we are, all three of us beaten and damaged beyond repair. 

Jaime's head is bowed, his eyes glassy. He's dejected and his mind seems to be in a disarray. 

"How many of those fingers do you think we could shove up his ass?" A man turns to us, a sinister smirk upon his lips and I frown, my nostrils flaring as I huff.