109. Wishes and wills

Rosalie Stark

Rosalie shakes her head before knocking on the door of the person she never wanted to come to, but she has no other option now. Sansa told her of their conversation, about what Daenerys thinks and plans to do, about the North...about Jon. 

"She's not evil", Robb pauses, grappling for the right words amidst the whirlwind of emotions. "She's done some damning things and in the worst possible ways, but I wouldn't deem her evil...yet."

"My grandmother wasn't fond of Targaryens", Rosalie licks her lips. "She's never had a kind word to say about them, yet she aligned herself with one. I never had the chance to ask if she truly meant to support Daenerys or if it was a plot to remove Cersei from the throne before stabbing Daenerys in the back."

His brows furrow, and he bites his bottom lip, seemingly lost in thought before he speaks. "You know your grandmother best. What do you think she had in mind?"

"The latter", she shrugs meekly, a sense of resolve coloring her voice. "It's what I would do."

Reaching across the table, Robb smiles. "We. We'll do it together if she doesn't show signs of changing her mind about our independence. The North cannot wage war with dragons and a sizable army she owns, not even with Highgarden at our disposal."

Nodding, she pulls his hand to her lips. "Together sounds nice."

"Get used to it, little rose." Robb's voice, laced with determination, reverberates through the room. "I'll never let you out of my sight again."

"Lady Stark", Daenerys smiles pleasantly, her demeanor carefully composed, though a flicker of surprise at Rosalie's visit betrays her true emotions. Sensing the potential for tension, Rosalie takes a breath, suppressing any retort to the 'lady' remark.

"I hope I'm not interrupting", Rosalie allows a well-rehearsed smile to soften her features. Holding her hands out in front of her, folded over each other right over her abdomen, she blinks slowly. 

"Not at all", Daenerys moves aside, revealing an empty chamber. The Targaryen Queen and Queen in the North stand alone, face to face, amidst the intricate dance of politics and personal motives, studying each other carefully.

"I realize it's rather late and we are meant to leave with the first light, so I'll be brief", Rosalie pauses. "Truth is, I've come to learn you were turned away from visiting Robb", she choked back a sob, a display of vulnerability meant to sway Daenerys. "From saying goodbye."

Lips parting, Daenerys frowns. "I was led to believe it was a wish of his family."

Shaking her head, Rosalie swallows thickly, her facade faltering as emotions threaten to spill over. "Not at all. I suppose they didn't want to interrupt my time with him, but I would never deny you a chance to say goodbye." Moving toward the bed, Rosalie takes a seat on the bed - it was once Jon's. "I understand Robb was important to you for a time. It would be unfair to take away your chance to see him while he still breathes."

Sitting too, Daenerys folds her hands in her lap, her expression softening. "He never regained consciousness?"

"No", Rosalie says quietly. "I cannot speak with certainty,  but Robb is not long for this world. I fear this is the last time any of us would see him."

Nodding, Daenerys turns her gaze away. Blinking fast, she purses her lips, almost like she is struggling to maintain her composure. "I don't think I would like to remember him like that. I prefer to remember him as he was." 

Tearing up, Rosalie sniffles. "If you change your mind, let me know. I'll make sure you are allowed entry."

Heading to the door, Rosalie pauses with her hand on the knob. Looking at Daenerys, she sighs. "I don't mean you any harm, Daenerys. I only seek to protect my people. Let us bring death to Cersei Lannister's doorstep and once it claims her, we will find a way to honor each other's wishes in a manner that will benefit us both."