11. Cripples, bastards and broken things

I propped myself up on my elbows, holding in a painful hiss as the wound reacts angrily to any of my moves. While I'm healing, the pain seems to have a constant hold on me. Though Robb tries his best to spend as much time as he possibly can right by my side, I'm already far too annoyed with my bed rest. I'm used to running wild on a meadow or shooting arrows to improve my aim, not staying in bed and doing nothing.

Pain isn't the only thing keeping me down, Robb and maester Luwin are the main reason why I'm stuck in this position. They keep insisting I need to relax and take time to heal, completely ignoring my adamant request to at least see the sun while there is any left considering the winter is coming.

My only company and true confidant has been Grey Wind. For some reason, he refuses to leave my side and growls at anyone who tries to remove him from the room.

Anyone but Robb, that is.

It does bring me a small sense of calm, having him to protect me while I'm helpless to do so myself.

"Where do you think you're going now?" Robb smiles at me from the door, striding inside with his hands behind his back.

"Nowhere since you're here." I groan and let myself fall back on the safety of my plush pillows. I eye him carefully, noticing his lips continue to twitch involuntarily even when his smile drops.

"What do you have there?" I ask, looking to Grey Wind for help, but instead he just rests his head on his paws.

"This!" Robb shows a yellow rose in my face happily, the excitement clearly getting to him.

My jaw unhinged, mouth opening as a result. I never knew roses grew so far north. A yellow rose, Tyrell sigil, it made my hear melt as this gesture is exactly why I've fallen for him so quickly.

"How did you?! You're adorable!" I exclaim, taking it quickly in my hands and turning it over and over again to make sure I wasn't dreaming. It would be cruel if it were a fantasy.

"Love, you have to stop calling me adorable." Robb's exasperated with me, but I know he loves it. I can see it by a glint that appears in his ocean blue eyes and the way the left corner of his lips indents his left cheek that he desperately tries to hide.

"Stop being so adorable and I will. It's your own fault." I remark, bringing the rose to my nose and taking a deep breath, inhaling the flowery scent I've missed since I left Highgarden.

"I'm supposed to be Lord of Winterfell, but you make me all soft. I'm not going to hold onto my reputation for long if this keeps happening." Robb states, taking a seat beside me, his hand finding mine on instinct. He doesn't hesitate, bringing the back of it to his lips, my heartbeat choosing to quicken as a result. A smile makes its way to my face and he mimics my reaction.

Just as I'm about to speak, Theon rushes inside and I'm forced to keep myself from rolling my eyes.

"Robb, we have a visitor." Theon says in a rushed manor, glancing between us awkwardly. He swallows thickly, focusing his eyes on Robb instead of me.

"Who?" Robb releases my hand, turning half way to face Theon, confused as to who the visitor could be.

A big part of me hoped it was someone from Highgarden, anyone from my family coming to see I'm well since I didn't write any messages of my recovery yet and Robb agreed they should come from me. But another part of me, one so small, yet incredibly strong, wanted it to be Jon. I wished to see him, wondering if he already took his vows; if he already became a crow. He'd shed his bastard status, but he'd lose any chance of a normal life. He'll never know what it means to have someone you cannot live without and how it feels to adore another human being with everything you're made of.