02. A Rose in his eye

Despite his best attempts at charming conversation, Rose has never once given Jaime any unnecessary attention. Although he laid his charm thick, she tried to avoid giving him the satisfaction of having her blush or even smile.

Once she caught him staring at her bosom, he raised his hands in defence saying: "I'm not staring at your boobs, but at your heart", and she couldn't help but laugh at the cheeky line he tried to sell her on. She let it slide though, like every other comment concerning her looks.

His comments were far from innocent, but they weren't crude either. Complimenting her hair had been his favourite thing to do, silently watching her day in and day out, wishing to run his fingers through it. Her hair was as waves of pure earth, softly reflecting the light of the sun; each strand moving freely in the breeze, making even him a slave to her beauty. He noticed her cheeks darken and the way she looks away with a small smile on her lips every time he pointed out things that made her so attractive and he found it was a rather pleasant feeling to have.  Knowing he could make her shy was a reward on its own.

Nights slowly passed, Jaime sleeping in a tent right next to hers. He'd watch for the moment her candle was no longer alight, only then allowing his mind to drift to sleep. Jaime was mostly concerned for her safety as many were taken by her beauty and the danger of someone trying to capture her innocence was at an all time high.

He swore to protect her from any man who dare lay a hand on her without her permission, himself included.

**

The day was leaving slow, earlier than the southerners were used to. A slight chill in the air was already felt as many searched for wood to create a fire to gather around.

"Come little Rose." Jaime nodded to the left, his eyes watching his men and carriage who have decided to rest.

Reluctant, but intrigued, Rosalie nods, passing by him with his eyes trained on the ground. She wasn't the most graceful person in Westeros, being rather clumsy if she's not careful enough. Holding her skirts up, she looked ahead with a slight concern once she realized Jaime isn't making any noise.

"Jaime?" She calls out, looking around with an annoyed huff leaving her lips. The last thing she needs at this point is getting lost in the woods and if he is the reason why, Rosalie would be beyond embarrassed. It wasn't about the man, but the shimmer of trust she put in him that made her embarrassed.

She ignored him for a fortnight, engaging with him only when she found it hard not to express her opinions on certain matters. She was sure to watch her mouth around anyone besides Jaime, but it was impossible to stop herself from proving him wrong whenever the opportunity arose.

"I'm not so sure. Many have tried and failed." Jaime smirked, rubbing the pommel of his sword. He closed his eyes for a single moment, knowing well he'd hear an annoyed sigh leave Rosalie's lips. And then she sighs and his lips curl upwards victoriously, rather pleased he had some parts of her figured out.

"Women can be just as good! Perhaps we should put it to a test? I bet I can win." Rosalie narrowed her eyes, watching the proud knight, awaiting his response.

"I'm saying no one is good as I am. It's not a sex thing, just a me thing." Jaime chuckled lowly and Rosalie's heart skips a beat at the sound. She furrows her brows, looking ahead with worry. No man had ever made her heart skip a beat before and she wasn't so happy it was Jaime who did that.

"Stop being so arrogant. It doesn't become you." She raises her head slightly, huffing before speeding up, leaving Jaime behind.

"If you want to teach me a lesson, I'd be happy to learn!" Jaime remarks, yelling after her with a rather wide smile playing on his lips.