112. Unlikely alliances

Inside the war room, Daenerys lays down the lion figure on the war map.

"We will storm the city, my queen. We will kill your enemies. All of them."

Rosalie's lips press in a thin line at the threats Grey Worm makes. It's shocking how easy it is to forget that King's Landing is home to millions of innocent people who have not harmed anyone.

"Your Grace. I promised you I would look you in the eye and speak directly if I ever thought you were making a mistake. This is a mistake," Varys warns and Rosalie glances at him, hoping he sees her gratitude. 

Rosalie wouldn't be smart to antagonize Daenerys openly. Despite their seemingly peaceful coexistence at the moment, the winds could change course. Defeating Cersei means standing with Daenerys for as long as possible.

"You saw my child fall from the sky," Daenerys states.  "They took Missandei."

"Cersei needs to be destroyed, but if we attack King's Landing with Drogon and the Unsullied and the Dothraki, tens of thousands of innocents will die," Varys insists. "That is why Cersei is bringing them into the Red Keep. These are the people you came here to protect. I beg you, Your Grace. Do not destroy the city you came to save. Do not become what you have always struggled to defeat."

"She's using them as a shield," Rosalie chimes in. "I suppose she's counting on all of us having a conscience and heart. And if we don't, she'd make certain no one would stand behind a Queen who sacrificed so many innocents for the Throne. They wouldn't care it was for Missandei, they'd accuse you of being your father's daughter."

Staring intently, Daenerys nods. "And do you have a better suggestion? What would the Queen in the North do?" 

"Distract the bitch," Rosalie raises her eyebrows. "Great enough diversion for her army to focus on, while a few skilled infiltrate the city and get inside the Red keep."

"You intend to take her alive?" Daenerys sneers.

Snorting, Rosalie leans forward on the table before her, aware of Jaime's presence by her side far too much. "I have no intention of letting her live. And should she be lucky enough to be found by someone other than me, they would be tasked to cut her down where she stands."

Seemingly disinterested in Rosalie's solution, Daenerys walks toward Varys. "Do you believe we're here for a reason, Lord Varys? I'm here to free the world from tyrants. That is my destiny and I will serve it, no matter the cost."

Varys remains silent, but Tyrion speaks for them both.

"It could be a fortnight before the allied armies make it to King's Landing. In the meantime, demand Cersei surrender. Offer her her life in exchange for the throne. If there's a chance to avoid the coming slaughter, we should make the effort."

"Speaking to Cersei will not prevent a slaughter. But perhaps it's good the people see that Daenerys Stormborn made every effort to avoid bloodshed, and Cersei Lannister refused." Sharing a look with Rosalie, she nods. "They should know whom to blame when the sky falls upon them. Would that be a distraction you're looking for?" 

With a smirk, Daenerys walks out of the throne room with Grey Worm on her heels. 

"She won't stop, will she?" Jaime frowns deeply, his hand resting on Rosalie's shoulder. 

"I've served tyrants most of my life," Varys states. "They all talk about destiny."

"She's a girl who walked into a fire with three stones and walked out with three dragons. How could she not believe in destiny?" Tyrion reminds them.