03. Welcome to Winterfell

I've become restless, tired from the long journey and more than prepared to snuggle by a fire to warm my bones. The ride made my muscles stiff and achy, my dress and skin dirty. I haven't ridden a horse in so long, but I was glad to have the experience. After all, we never know what life has in store for us and if that particular skill would be of use later on.

"Every skill you acquire will be useful one day. Never say no to learning something new."

Even in the North I could hear my grandmother's wise words, almost like they're a precognition of what's to come. Every word she's told I hold dear to my heart and make a place for them in my mind. Oleanna Tyrell was always incredibly intelligent, cunning and capable. I knew I had a lot to learn from her. Those traits came naturally for Margaery, but I always had difficulty following their ways.

I loved being outside in the fields, riding, practising with Loras. I've never been the type to sit still and knit with the girls...No, I've always wanted freedom and love. I just wanted to be happy.

Living in a Tyrell household, I've had anything my heart desired. People were nice to me because of my wealth, men courted me for my beauty, girls wanted to be my ladies simply in hopes of raising their stature or finding a proper husband. No one truly wanted to know me.

No one, until I met Jaime Lannister.

Sure, he definitely wanted more than just know me, but I couldn't let myself fall for his charm. No matter how he made my heart beat erratically, I couldn't bring myself to trust him completely and that is a number one priority in a man I plan to marry. There's also that issue of him not being able to marry as a member of the King's guard and I knew I'd be wasting my time with the elusive lion. He wanted my body and I swore an oath to myself to keep my body untouched until the ONE came around.

I wanted to marry for love, no matter what my grandmother insisted on. She wanted a rose in every part of the kingdom, preparing Margaery for the future king should the current one fall and sending me to the North to be Robb Stark's wife to rule over the cold, winter lands.

I knew she expected me to marry him, sending me with the royal family as an excuse to introduce me to the heir, but I made myself a promise as well. Should Robb be anything but what I seek in a man, I would leave and let myself find another. I couldn't handle the thought of being in a loveless marriage.

"We're almost there. You ready for all those northern men watching you like they've never seen a girl before?" Tyrion speaks and I blink once, frowning slightly.

We've barely spoken the past few weeks and I was rather surprised he'd just come out of the carriage and start a conversation out of nowhere on such a topic.

I notice Jaime glance at me, remaining quiet and I silently thank him for doing so.

"Most men do that anyway." I respond, pursing my lips at the thought.

It was true. Most men said and did anything to draw my gaze to them, but I've never been impressed with either of them. The way to my heart wasn't in boasting or being crude, rather in small things a man could do to show his appreciation for a woman he cares for. Sometimes a simple glance meant more than any comment about his sexual endeavours.

"I just wanted to make sure you don't rush into...certain things. Listen to your own heart and mind, not others." Tyrion said knowingly before taking a sip from his bottle. I was certain it wasn't just water what he was drinking, but I kept my mouth shut. His life with the perfect, golden twins must have been hard as it is, I would never deprive him of simple pleasures such as alcohol.

"Do not worry about me. I'm not one to rush into anything. That I can promise." I smile earnestly at him, hoping he understood it was actually a gesture of gratitude. Despite his looks, I've found Tyrion to be much smarter than his family gives him credit for. Sure, he's more interested in satisfying his carnal desires, but I wasn't one to judge. What mattered is that he is a good man and I had never felt uneasy around him.