91. Pressing questions

Robb Stark & Rosalie Tyrell

Even now, Robb remembers the day he first met Rosalie. She had a smile that could easily melt the falling snow surrounding Winterfell and it certainly melted any and all reservations he's had in the past regarding their courtship. 

Robb was far from perfect in the past, causing her irreparable hurt and all the pain he's inflicted left ugly scars she desperately tries to hide from the world. From him as well. While he could attempt to aid in her recovery from the years of torturous mind games she's endured since his 'passing', it feels futile. He cannot turn back time and protect her from the Lannisters and the losses they brought on, nor can he make his own transgressions disappear. He's come to realize that all he can do is trust her and be patient. 

Though she certainly doesn't make it easy on him.

Regardless of the faith he showed before Jon, Robb couldn't lie to himself. Hearing Rosalie might have consorted with the Kingslayer once again had rattled him to the core. They've barely spoken of what events brought such a string of unfortunate happenings that resulted in her becoming a Lannister and Robb did not trust himself to do so now. 

When one feels their loved one slipping through their fingers, do they not desperately form a fist in hope of holding onto them a while longer? 

He found himself wondering if she knew of the unsteady beat his heart's been tortured by every time they have parted, even if it was mere hours. Every time he looks inside her eyes, he struggles to recognize the woman he once knew. It is as if she's lost inside her own mind, torn between what is right and what must be done and he understands that for he once had the same battles with himself that she held his hand through. 

Rosalie has always been his wisest advisor, the one he trusted without no reservations. His confidence in her never wavered, yet he finds the sting of betrayal keeps him awake now and he cannot admit to himself that for the first time ever there is a stain placed on the image of Rosalie he keeps in his head. 

Would she hurt him so? 

Robb doesn't believe she'd be so cruel as to break his heart now. She never toyed with him before, not with anyone. If anything, she always had a brutal honesty policy he respected. If he asked her directly, Robb didn't doubt he would hear a truthful account of the events. She left out things she believes are not of his concern, but she fails to understand she is his main concern. Though he may be considered as an intelligent man, he could never compare himself to her brilliance. 

How can he protect her if half the time he cannot keep up with the plans she set in motion?

And Jon can? 

That's the most shocking revelation of all. Robb tried to ignore the lingering looks Jon sent Rosalie's way, even all those years ago he'd convince himself it wasn't worth the worry, but this was different. This time Robb found himself on the outside looking in and he didn't like it. It only raised more questions Robb was wary of asking. 

Would the answers ruin all he believes in now? 

He has no right to anger if there is some truth to his innermost nightmares coming to reality, but can any man accept his brother might have feelings for the woman he's imagined a future with? 

Worse of all, what if Rosalie reciprocates those feelings? 

After all, he saw the death glares she directed at Daenerys whenever she was near Jon and for a while he convinced himself she wanted someone who'd love Jon, to protect his heart, but Robb is having trouble lying to himself lately.

At some point, he will have to face reality and he never shied away from truth before. Not until now. Once a man of great valor, Robb chuckles quietly under his breath as he realizes he's afraid of conversing truthfully with the woman laying in the bed beside him.