75. Dragonstone

Rosalie & Jon - Dragonstone beach

Dropping anchor had caused tensions to rise between Rosalie and Jon. They were almost friendly, wistful in a manner Jon had never imagined possible after their argument in Winterfell. It all went away when Rosalie set her sights on Dragonstone through the mist. Her eyes narrowed, creating a few lines across her forehead and for the first time ever, Jon saw the time did pass for it left its mark on her as well. 

In a way, it comforted him to know she's not quite as perfect as he deluded himself into believing. She was made of flesh and blood and she had a temper that's difficult to understand, but Jon truly wished he could. He saw her lips turn into a scowl, her nostalgic smile erased as if it never existed and for a moment, Jon couldn't help but wonder if they even shared that intimately sweet conversation at all. He began doubting if it were yet another fabrication of what is turning out to be his feeble minded dreamland. 

He noticed her lips quiver before she pressed them in a thin line to hide vulnerable emotion from anyone who might be so awestruck with her as Jon is to disregard the closeness of Dragonstone. Jon deemed he wasn't the only one, but he didn't dare take his eyes off her to establish the truthfulness of his thoughts. 

In the end, Jon had no clue if he'd be given a chance to truly be with Rosalie in their time here. Their mission is time sensitive and extremely difficult, possibly even dangerous - especially for him. Rosalie had her Tyrell name to protect her as the official ally of the Targaryen queen, while Jon will stand before her as a proclaimed King in the North, opposing her. 

Swallowing thickly, Rosalie felt the lump at the back of her throat growing as her heart helplessly pounded inside her ribcage. It had been a long time since she last had dreams that foretold anything, but the feeling she'd usually have upon waking from them had plagued her now.  There is an undeniable force drawing her closer to Dragonstone. It's like an invisible string she's been pulling on for so long to no avail, but promise of victory echoed in each heartbeat that rung inside her ears now. 

Releasing a shuddered breath, she pressed her lips to hide the undeniable tingles running under her skin. She didn't truly understand why she was so persistent in joining Jon on this road, if it was something she did merely to antagonize him and prove a point or if she truly wished to join her grandmother. She did want to destroy the Lannister line, but Rosalie wasn't quite sure about trusting a foreign raised Targaryen. She didn't trust any Targaryen.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and relaxed her shoulders. This isn't a battle to prepare for, at least not the physical kind. She may not trust a Targaryen, but she trusts their desire to defeat Lannisters and that's what she should focus on. Despite the impression she gets, Rosalie will worry about this self proclaimed queen once she achieves her initial goal. 

One thing at a time.

Letting out a long exhale, her eyes open once again. Finding the mist clearing so near the beach, a hint of a smile dances across her lips. Being here feels right. Perhaps it's not about the location, but what awaits at Dragonstone. Either way, Rosalie knew she made the right choice in joining Jon and Davos.

Lips parting, she moves toward the boats ahead of Jon. Climbing down, she's the first one inside the boat they'll take to the beach. Jon and Davos follow closely, but she doesn't bother with them. They're too busy talking strategy while her heart is fluttering, distracting her mind with the irregular rhythm it settled on. 

With waves making it harder for the rowers to go any faster, Rosalie rests her hand over the hilt of her sword. No matter how it goes, she's got her sword. Even if death is what greets her, she'd want to die with a sword in hand. In the end, she was not the lady her grandmother wished to raise her as - she wasn't Margaery and never will be.