16 | People Who Care

Re·cov·er/riˈkəvər/verbreturn to a normal state of health, mind, or strength

Re·cov·er
/riˈkəvər/
verb
return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength.

══════

   IT'S COMFORTABLE.

The darkness.

Some find it cold... a scary place. But I was never afraid of the dark. It protected me, kept me safe when no one else did. It made a home in me, a place to hid the things I found dearest.

It was comfortable to stay in the darkness.

Easy.

But not healthy.

I felt the pull back to reality... the call to wake up. Wake up. Open your eyes. My own consciousness called out to me, feel the fabric beneath your fingers, and wake up.

My eyes finally budge open. Groggy and confused, I attempt to lift my head. I was in the Medbay. Rory was to my left, and Sara was to my right. Both of them were asleep, exhausted I'm sure. Mick was patched up and looking much better than the state I last saw him in.

Sara's arms crossed over her chest as she gently snored. A smile prickled at my lips. A thin blanket was loosely tossed on her lap and her shoes were off as well. She'd kill me if I mentioned how adorable she looked.

I adjusted my position in bed. A flicker, then pain.

Connell's face burned its way into my head. Stop. Safe— I am safe. Blinking it away, I replaced it with Savage, and a newly found rage bubbled in my stomach. In the words of Mick Rory, I couldn't wait to watch the bastard burn.

As I gained my composure more and more, I detached myself from the leads placed on me. Gideon began to protest but I shushed her. Sara and Mick remained unbothered. Neatly folded at Sara's feet were a change of clothes waited for me. I removed the gown that was placed on me and slipped into the clean clothes.

   Bandages covered the majority of my torso. Deep purple and yellowish-brown patterns covered my skin. The dried blood and grim from before was gone, my injuries more visible in the harsh light of the infirmary. New scars to add to the list I determined.

   For a brief second, I stayed there watching Mick. His chest rose gently. Up, down. He looked small... if that were even possible for him. His face was relaxed and he somehow looked less intimidating this way. Neither of us had gotten much rest, let alone sleep.

   My hand tentatively hovered over his. I didn't touch him though, the air between us was heavy enough. My chest tightened and I took a step back.

   I went to the doors and they opened. The hallway lights were dimly lit, everyone was tucked away after the rescue mission. Just before I rounded the corner, I nearly ran into Ray.