24 | Kidnapping

Mor·al/ˈmôrəl/nounplural noun: moralsa person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do

Mor·al
/ˈmôrəl/
noun
plural noun: morals
a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.

══════

[ Kasnian Conglomerate, 2147 ]

"TO BE CLEAR, we're talking about murdering a child..." Martin verified disdainfully.

"Who hasn't done anything to anyone..." Jax argued as well, clearly uncomfortable with the idea Rip posed.

"Yet here we are," Snart chirped from his seat, "So why don't we pick him off now, while the pickin's easy?"

"There's got to be a better way." Kendra asserted, her arms crossing over her chest.

"How do we even know that this Per Degaton kid's path to becoming a world-ruling dictator is inevitable?"

"Because in the future that I'm from, children learn about Per Degaton in the same way that children in your time learn about Adolf Hitler."

"What about addressing the larger societal problems that would allow such a despot's rise to power?" Stein helplessly scrapped for some empathy from the group.

"We already know what pushes this punk to the dark side: Savage." Snart reasoned, rather unamused by our debating.

"Look, it's not the kid's fault he's got an immortal psychopath as his tutor."

"If we don't kill the kid now, Savage will... as soon as he's done using him to take over the world," Leonard argued.

The Captain dropped his chin, avoiding his gaze as he agreed with Snart, "If he didn't build him into the greatest tyrant the world had ever known, Savage can't become the last tyrant the world will ever know."

"Murdering a child in cold blood just like Savage murdered your own son. What's the use in saving the world if we stoop to his methods to do so?"

"Marty is right," before I could justify my response, a heavy exasperation fell from Snart.

"Oh please," he rolled his eyes, "As if you haven't snuffed a few kids in your day."

My jaw hardened, despite his obvious attempt at a joke. He wasn't wrong, their faces still remained with me to this day. I did that. Nothing I did forgave my horrible, horrible actions... but I promised myself I'd never do it again. No one deserves that. Leveling my gaze at him, I spoke clearly, "That's exactly why I'm against killing him. If we result to killing a child before he does anything wrong... because he poses a threat... we are no better than the bad guys. That's mercenary thinking, assassin thinking. We need to do better."