26 | Stillwater

Cow·boy/ˈkouˌboi/noun1

Cow·boy
/ˈkouˌboi/
noun
1. a man, typically one on horseback, who herds and tends cattle, especially in the western US and as represented in westerns and novels.

══════

THE BOYS AND I joined up with Ray back at the saloon. Palmer was wearing a proud, shit-eating, grin when we saw him. A shiny star decorated the lapel of his coat, "You like it?"

He flashed the badge with a smirk. Sherif. I snorted, flicking the star with my nail to hear a ding, "Did you polish this?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "Maybe..."

"Hey haircut," Mick called from the doorway.

We stepped outside of the bar and noticed a group of men riding toward us on horseback. They had their pistols raised in the air and hollered.

"One of mine is dead. And this here towns gonna pay," the main rider declared.

When he noticed Ray, he almost scoffed, "And who might you be, princess?"

"John Wayne..." Palmer stated, his feet planting and his hand drawing near his pistol, "Salvation's new sheriff. This here town is under my protection."

"Well, you being new and all, you don't know about the arrangement that we got. See, me and my boys, we ride into town, and we take whatever we want."

"In exchange for what?"

"Not killin' nobody." The men laughed.

"Well, that sounds reasonable and all, but arrangements over."

"Arrangements over boys," Stillwater mocked Ray. He swung his leg over and climbed down his horse, "they teach you numbers where it is you're from? 'Cause the way I see it, there's only one of you and a whole mess of us."

Just as Stillwater reached for his sidearm and withdrew it, a bullet shot the revolver out of his hand. The horses neighed at the startling clank and all eyes looked skyward to see where the shot came from.

Behind us, Snart tipped his hat. He was perched on the balcony of the Saloon. Nice shot.

"Now, you get out of town, and you don't come back, or the next bullet goes in your eye. I got sharpshooters all around. You really want to test me?"

The men stared at each other, lock in a standoff before Stillwater spoke over his shoulder, "Let's ride, boys."

The outlaw mounted his horse and rode off with his group. Once they were out of sight, the town irrupted into applause and cheer. A smile beamed across Ray's face and I held a thumbs up.