23 | In a Cage

Con·fined/kənˈfīnd/adjective(of a space) restricted in area or volume; cramped

Con·fined
/kənˈfīnd/
adjective
(of a space) restricted in area or volume; cramped.

══════

   I SPENT THE MAJORITY OF THE NIGHT thinking over every encounter we had with Chronos. Reevaluating every move and motive, wondering how much of Mick remained behind the mask. And almost every interaction I had with him he could've done a lot worse but he didn't, he held back. He didn't kill me. That had to be worth something. There was some hope that Mick was still in there regardless of the shit they put him through.

   Maybe it was stupid of me to hope that he was still inside there, selfishly hoping that the one person I felt comfortable with... vulnerable in the way we had been with one another... to still be a good person. If someone like Sara and I had the ability to come back from the darkness, maybe he could too. Or maybe that was wishful thinking at its finest... a naivety brought out in me for some odd reason. A part of me wanted to believe in the good nature Mick begrudgingly showed me. Hoped.

   Back on the bridge, he had the choice to kill me. To kill all of us. But he did the opposite. When Snart overestimated his blast, I thought Chronos was taking advantage of the moment... but now that I think of it, he was protecting me. He covered me and put himself in the line of fire. He pushed me out of the way. That had to amount to something.

   Before I could stop myself, I found my way to the brig. Mick sat on the bench, his head leaning against the wall behind him. His eyes opened, blinking heavily a few times to garner his focus. When he noticed me, a snicker grumbled in his chest. His voice was like scraps of metal and gravel rubbing together, roughened by his morning voice.

   "Had to wait till the rest of the team was asleep, huh?"

   "I have questions and you have answers. That's how this is gonna work okay?"

   "Forceful. I like it." He wrung his hands together, leaning on his elbows, "I'll bite. Why are you here, Xiomara?"

   "Oh, so it's Xiomara now... not Xo or Ponytail? We just bypassed the nicknames now?"

   "Why are you here?"

   "On the bridge, you could have killed me. But you didn't. You hesitated."

   "I removed an obstacle," Rory reminded sinisterly, "Besides... I had bigger fish to fry. I wasn't going to let a one-night stand get in the way."

   I smiled, "That's cute. Clever."

   Stepping closer to the glass, I watched him with leveled eyes, "Attempt to drive a wedge by being a smart ass. You're not the same man you were when you first came on this ship... I think you know that. That's not what we were and you know that."