27 | Just Like You

Scared/skerd/adjectivefearful; frightened

Scared
/skerd/
adjective
fearful; frightened.

══════

[ Central City, 1990 ]

   THANKS TO GIDEON, we were able to figure out who the Pilgrim would target first— Mick. When we landed, we made our way on foot to the Rory residence.

   While Snart, Mick, and Rip dressed as firefighters, Sara and Jax snuck into Mick's childhood home. Ray and I patrolled the perimeter, watching for any activity in the surrounding fields.

The night was illuminated by the lashing flames that quickly spread up the two-story house. Mick wasn't very open about his childhood, he had only shared a small bit of it with me before he became Chronos. I'm sure I was but a handful of people that had seen the trauma forever burned on his skin, the scars a result of this night. This event was a turning point in his life, and it meant something to be there.

   Near the back of the house, a couch burned. Flames licked around the base of the home as it was engulfed by layers of embers and smoke. The glowing red and orange silhouetted a boy. There you are. Relief shifted to anger once I noticed the woman hovering behind him.

    I shadowed them before blinking behind her. She raised her weapon. Before she could pull the trigger, I sent shadows after her. They curled around head, covering her mouth to silence her. Sleep, they whispered.

   The Pilgrim's eyes shut and I left her to confront the younger version of Mick. He turned around at the commotion, his eyes wide in shock. I approached him cautiously, my hands raised. The boy quickly got to his feet, his chest puffing, "Get back!"

   "Not gonna happen."

"If— if you're here to arrest me— I..."

"I'm not a cop, but I need you to come with me."

"Who are you?"

"Someone who's looking out for you."

With some skillful persuasion, I was able to get young Rory to follow me. I managed to get him back on the ship without much fuss, but with Jax's help, we were able to fabricate a somewhat believable story.

   Mick stood with us in the stairwell leading away from the cargo bay. His eyes were fixed on his counterpart, discomfort deepening his normal scowl.