21 | Saving Jax

Skep·ti·cism/ˈskeptəˌsizəm/nouna skeptical attitude; doubt as to the truth of something

Skep·ti·cism
/ˈskeptəˌsizəm/
noun
a skeptical attitude; doubt as to the truth of something.

══════

   "YOU SAW WHAT?"

   "It had wings, large buck teeth, and black eyes. They were human-like but someone altered their physical appearances." I nudged my checker piece across the board. Sara watched pensively as she studied the game.

  "How many?"

  "At least three."

   She moved her red piece.

   "There was another room at the end of the hallway. It looked surgical. There was an examination chair, with medical tools on a table, then something in a box."

   I closed my eyes, hoping it would help me remember what exactly I saw, "A glowing rock," I recalled the blue light it gave off, "It was half-covered, but it looked extraterrestrial."

   Stein hovered by us. He busied himself with the bookshelves beside the table before joining in, "A rock? Like a crystal? Or meteorite?"

   "Maybe meteorite? I could go back later tonight to get a better idea but I'm not sure."

   "What color was it giving off?"
   "Blue."
   "Was it glowing on the inside or out?"
   "Inside."
"Did it have a reflective surface or dull?"
"Dull. It was mostly brown and grey."

   Martin tapped his thumb and forefinger together as he thought, "It could be an Nth Metal meteorite."

   "A what?"

   "That would explain the mutations you saw... if humans were to come into contact with something of that caliber, it's likely it would have altered their physical appearance as well." He figured out loud.

   "Why does that sound familiar? The type of meteorite?" My brows furrowed, attempting to think of where I had heard that name before.

   "It's the one Kendra came into contact with." The professor informed, "It gave her and Carter their abilities."

   "Right... was something like that mentioned in the files?" Sara asked Martin.

   "Yes, we'll sort of," he adjusted his glass, "The primary drug used is only referred to as 'substance X'. A doctor by the name of Curtis Knox is the head of the project."

"That's the other thing," I huffed, "Dr. Curtis Knox is Vandal Savage."

    "More splendid news," Martin groaned.

"You're telling me." I slumped and placed my elbows on the table. With a thump, my forehead hit the polished wood surface. My hands intertwined behind my head and I inhaled deeply.