31 | Explanation

Peace offeringnouna propitiatory or conciliatory gift

Peace offering
noun
a propitiatory or conciliatory gift.

══════

[  London, 2166  ]

   THE SECOND WE STEP FOOT ON THE SHIP, Rip bitched about our recklessness on the mission. I paid it no mind; to be fair, no one else did either. The group gathered in the parlor to discuss steps moving forward. Kendra pulled up a composite sketch generated by Gideon.

"My bracelet— I was wearing it the night of my first death."

   "That's great," Ray chirped, "I mean, not the death part. That's terrible."

   I eyed him, and he coughed his awkwardness away, "You told us that objects present on the night of your death could be used to kill Savage. I listen, I'm your fiancée."

   I gagged, and Sara nudged me, "And that's sweet, but there's still one small problem. It's a bracelet; how are you supposed to kill Savage with it?"

   "Good question," Rip countered as he sauntered down the parlor stairs.

   "It wasn't rhetorical," Sara argued as he left.

   Kendra crossed her arms as Rip requested for Ray and me to follow him. She looked at me, "Any ideas?"

   "You're on your own, tweety."

   I patted her shoulder encouragingly before passing by. Sara looked at me with disdain in her eye, and I grimaced, "Sorry, pal."

    "Catch."

   Ray tossed a chocolate bar in my direction. With ease, I caught it. Eyeing it curiously, I frowned, "What's this for?"

   "Consider it a peace offering."

    As I unwrapped the foil around it, I greedily bit into a square, "Why do I need a peace offering from you?"

   "For what I'm about to say," He flipped the flashlight in his hands from one palm to the other, "I think you should talk things out with Rip."

"Did he send you in here?" I asked, disbelief coating my tongue.

Ray shook his head no, "I came of my own free will. Scouts honor. I just— hate seeing you like this. If there is a route to reconciliation, I think—"

"Ray, I appreciate your concern... but I'm not sure I'm ready to speak to the Captain."

"You're still processing, I know the secrecy hurt you."