28 | Family Ties

Burn/bərn/verb1

Burn
/bərn/
verb
1. (of a fire) produce flames and heat while consuming a material such as coal or wood.
2. destroy, damage, or injure by heat or fire.

══════

[  Central City, 1990  ]

   THE TEAM HAD GATHERED at the front of the ship once more. Rip explained to us how the Pilgrim was able to manipulate and slow time, practically freezing Firestorm in their place. He called it temporal micro-manipulation. Rip deemed the rescue mission a success, saying that we were lucky to have saved Dr. Palmer.

   Sara and I looked at each other, asking what our next move was since we had no way of knowing who the Pilgrim's next victim was. From his place across from the captain, Snart snarled, "At least we know it's not Rip, because he doesn't have a past to go back to."

   Biting his tongue, Rip disregards Snart's slay remark and asked Gideon to plot a few points in the timeline for him. His fingers punched in different dates: June 2, 1972, March 16, 1950, and September 12, 1993.

   Upon seeing his birthday, Jax asked why he was picking that specific point in time. Rip argued that it would ensure no harm come to their past selves.

   "So by abducting Jax as a newborn, we're basically removing him from the future timeline?" I asked.

   "This saving him— brilliant." The Professor raised his eyebrow in awe.

   "It's morally questionable," Snart argued.

   "It's suicidal," Mick finally broke his gaze with the window and strode over to us. If we take too long in getting them home—"

   "— then history is altered. There won't be a home to go back to. You'll disappear from the minds of everyone who's ever known you."

   "You mean my mom won't even know me?" Jax asked, fear underlining his tone

   "My wife," Martin declared.

   "Sure as hell beats dying," Leonard remarked.

The team parted ways but Rory and I found ourselves retreating to the quiet of his room. My younger self still occupied my bed, locked in a deep slumber. Her exhaustion mirrored my own and I hated the idea of waking her up.

   My headache from before resurfaced and Mick offered up his room. In an attempt to help the aching spasms in my head, he told me to lie down and relax.