6 | A Trusted Friend

E·go/ˈēɡō/nouna person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance

E·go
/ˈēɡō/
noun
a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.

══════

[ Russia 1986 ]

REMAINING ON THE BRIDGE with Rip while he quarterbacked for the field team, I twirled a small stream of smoke around my fingers. With my back propped up against the doorway, my legs stretched along the stairs that lead up to the study. Rip was mumbled something to Ray and Snart about having eyes and ears on them. Relaying back, Leonard said they had found Vostok. After a brief silence, the monitor chirped, Gideon's voice following suit.

Temporal anomaly detected.

Standing, I joined Rip as he hovered over the screen. The digital map zoomed in on a location, a red dot pinging Moscow.

"It's Chronos," Rip concluded with a quick glance.

The Russian jet damaged his ship.

"Is he still alive?" I asked.

He went down just outside Moscow city limits.

The bulkheads hissed open, Rory walking out. Rip gave him a once over before looking back at me, "How would you like to accompany me on a little mission?"

He lifted his weapon, "Will I get to use my gun?"

"A near-certain likelihood."

Without hesitation, he told the captain to lead the way. Rip looked to me, silently asking the same question he did Mick. Shrugging my shoulders, I agreed.

"Wonderful."

Following behind the trench-coated man, I smiled at Mick.

"You stole my beer," he grumbled.

"Worth every last drop."

Wandering deep into the woods, Rip took point. I stepped as lightly as I could on the leaf riddled ground. Mick wasn't as graceful, his heavy boots weighted against the dead foliage. Rhythmically, I spun the throwing knife around my finger. Watching our six I heard Rory mumbled something about him hating nature. Rip quickly hushed him, announcing we were thirty meters away from the anomaly's location.

"Chronos must be hiding out in the trees."

Turning our search to the greenery above us, I blinked a few times until the darkness brightened. My eyes temporarily scanned over Mick's. I watched as the silver in my irises glowed in the reflection of his. Quickly, I whipped around. Acting on impulse, I drew my arm back. With a hefty throw, I released my blade and watched as it sliced through the air.