11 | Cat

O·men/ˈōmən/nounan event regarded as a portent of good or evil

O·men
/ˈōmən/
noun
an event regarded as a portent of good or evil.

══════

   THE TRAIL FOR SAVAGE had gone cold after the events of 2046. Rip and his research had come up empty handed and we were left to wait. To have the element of surprise and the upper hand required us to pin point an exact location... which had proven harder than anticipated.

   The League seemed to be the subject of my nights recently. My theory was proving correct, our week spend drifting in the Temporal Zone had managed to loosen memories long forgotten. The most recent, my induction ceremony— the selection of my new name and identity.

   Deep in sleep, I could feel the heat radiating from the torches all around the room. Ra's stood in front of the new inductees. Stoic and unwavering.

   The black cat. A symbol of bad luck, death, and misfortune. A bad omen.

   A punch collided with my jaw. I ducked, swiftly kicking at a pair of legs. Grabbing at his wrist, I pressed on his thumb. With a forceful twist I disarmed him, his sword dropping into my free hand. Holding it to his throat, I paused for further instruction.

   "Again. Quicker this time."

   Retracting my hand, I nodded sharply. I handed my sparing partner his sword before moving back to my starting position. Precise movements and hits, thinking of my opponents next move before they could. Strike when they're venerable. Quick. Clean. No mistakes.

   Huffing, I fought off four men. Blocking attacks with my own swords. I could see Ra's as he methodically paced— watching and dissecting my every decision. Elbowing my final assailant in the gut I watched as he clutched his stomach. Forcefully, I grabbed his throat, squeezing tightly.

"Xiomara," a whisper sang in my ear.

My surroundings began to blur, the noise washing out. I could only make out the crackle of the fire and the grunts coming from my sparing partner. My name was called again and I was thrust out of the dream. Falling into the dark before jolting awake.

   Tiredly, I stared at the ceiling. Martin and I tried to get approval from Rip to return and retrieve my inhibitor from the original timeline, but he said it would be too risky at the moment. With Chronos and Savage still at large, he couldn't risk loosing us in the time stream.

   With an annoyed grunt, I flung the sheets of my body. Forcing myself up, I recounted to Gideon what I saw. She logged it and stored it away with the rest of my unsavory dreams.

I took to the galley, fabricating an apple. From the chopping block I grabbed a knife, twirling the utensil a few times before using it. Peeling of the reddish pink skin, an uneasy quiver trembled my body.