32 | Lid for Every Pot

Knowl·edgenoun1

Knowl·edge
noun
1. facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

══════

[  London, 2166  ]

     FIVE GUARDS INCLUDING myself encircled Savage's blonde Lieutenant. The mask around my face was oddly similar to the one I wore with the League, except this time it was black fabric rather than red. Our eyes were the only things exposed as we waited to see who would attack first.

My fingers instantly wrapped around the hilt of my sword the second the man to my left reached for his. Raising his arm, he sliced the air beside her face. The Lieutenant sidestepped his advance and withdrew her own blade. Metal against metal. I refrained from joining the fight right away. I allowed the others to strike first to get a quick read on her movements.

I finally joined the fight and connected my sword with hers. Seamlessly, I blended with the group. We took turns striking. Every blow was calculated— cogs in the machine. When she found a weakness in someone's stance or technique, she'd pick them off like flies. One by one, the group dwindled until it was just me and her. She eyed me curiously, confused as to why I was the outlier.

   As I advanced on her, I pressed on the notch on my handle and split my blades. I duel-wielded my swords and she smirked at the challenge. Letting loose, I released all the tension from the past few days. With precision, I sidestepped her blows and nicked her upper arm. Blood instantly trickled from the thin scratch and she smirked.

   "You're not one of ours—" she claimed, boldly.

   "Wonder what gave it away."

   My agility outmatched her but she was more forceful with her attacks. She crouched before dropping her knee. Her arm swung wide in an attempt to slash at my legs. I jumped, flipping over my shoulder and out of the way.

   "Surrender—" she gritted through her teeth.

   "Unlikely."

   She charged after me. Aggressively, she swung her blade at me diagonally. I redirected her elbow and she dropped the hilt of her sword into her free hand. Anticipating the move, I managed to block her sneaky attack. She applied pressure against my blade and I did the same. I gave way to her strength just enough to slide out and kick her shin.

I spun out of the way and only allowed a bit of distance between us. I needed to keep her close. My fingers cliched the nodule on my handle and my single blade slit into two. Intrigue crossed the Lieutenant's eyes as I kicked her weapon out of her hand. With my left blade held to her throat and the other to her chest, I exhaled evenly.