𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞.

BLACK CAT
ᴡʀɪᴛᴛᴇɴ ʙʏ ʟɪʟᴀᴄᴍᴜʀᴀʟ

══════

══════

Shad·ow
/ˈSHadō/
verb
plural noun: shadows
follow and observe (someone) closely and secretly.

══════

[Phoenix, Arizona 2010]

  "GRACIAS, ANYA, I'LL BE SURE to check in on you next week. Tell Jorge I said hello."

   "Alright, Marisa... travel safely now."

   "Yes ma'am."

   I grabbed the grocery bag off the counter and slipped it around my wrist. With a friendly wave over my shoulder, I pushed on the door. Deciding to walk rather than take the bus, I admired the changing sky.

   As I neared my apartment complex I dug around my purse for my keys. When I found them I lazily spun them around my finger. My feet mindlessly carried me up the darkened concrete stairs.

   Opening the door, I haphazardly tossed my keys and purse aside on the side table. I hung up my jacket on the hook by the door. My finger curled around the light switch and gave it a flick upwards. I lightly swung the plastic bag in my hand as I made my way to the kitchen.

   The light from the street lamp on the corner bleed into the kitchen, peaking through the slits in the blinds. Blinking a few times, my eyes settled into the dark seeing the room as if the lights were on. I placed the thin white bag on the countertop and searched through it. Creak.

   I continued to put canned goods in my cabinets, pretending I didn't hear anything. My eye line ticked to the knife block on my left. Slowly, my fingers drew a knife out of its slot, my grip tightening around the handle. My eyes darted around the room, searching but unable to find anything upon first glance. The skin around my knuckles lightened as I gripped the handle harder.

   "Reveal yourself," I spoke firmly. There was no response, "Do it before I make you."

   A hooded figure crept out from my living room. Dressed in the traditional garb of the League of Assassins, a womanly figure took form. She unfurled the fabric covering her face and tendrils of blonde hair fell. I froze.

   "Ta-er al-Sahfer," I greeted Sara, amused.

   "Qat 'aswad'," She spoke back. Her face was blank, unreadable.