Chapter 1 - An Unlucky Year

The air after a rain shower smelt like camphor leaves stained with mud.

Yue Zhishi who was stepped on by an orange cat jumping onto his bed groggily opened his eyes and was immediately shocked that he had overslept.

He clearly would only be late a few times a year but today unfortunately just happened to be the first day of school. Hearing Aunt Rong downstairs calling him, Yue Zhishi hurriedly responded, and the cat once again walked across his stomach before agilely jumping off. He quickly washed up and changed before grabbing his schoolbag and running out.

"The alarm clock didn't ring?" Lin Rong calmly rinsed out a milk bottle, "Hurry and have breakfast. Yesterday's braised beef mince mixed with rice noodles, it's pretty good."

At this time, Yue Zhishi had already rushed to the entryway. There was no time to worry about breakfast.

"I didn't have morning study before the opening ceremony so I forgot to set the new time. Aunt Rong, where's Song Yu gege?"

A little Pomeranian followed closely behind and obediently sat on the ground watching him change shoes.

"Your brother left already. Isn't it the opening ceremony today? It seems that he is on duty today. Do third year senior high school students still need to do that?" Lin Rong placed the bottle back and turned around while drying her hands, "The opening ceremony for the junior high school department should be together with the high school department..........."

When Yue Zhishi turned around and opened the door, the Pomeranian started to frantically scratch at his leg to prevent him from leaving.

Lin Rong hurriedly called out after him, "Le Le! You can't skip breakfast!"

Yue Zhishi knelt down to rub the dog's head and then gave it a kiss before leaving in a hurry, "I'll buy some rice cakes. Bye Aunt Rong~"

"Don't just eat anything!"

Leaving the house, Yue Zhishi rode his bicycle straight to the breakfast stall outside the community. The granny who usually sold rice cakes there wasn't around today. Yue Zhishi had heard her talk about her back pain before so she was probably taking a few days off. The noodle soup store next door however was very fragrant, and you could smell the scent of the stewed beef from far away.

"Le Le, is it still early? Come and have some noodles." The owner of the beef noodle soup store lowered a ladle of rice noodles into the hot soup, the silken strands flirting in and out amidst the other soup ingredients.

"I'm going to be late Uncle Chen. I'll have it tomorrow!" Yue Zhishi parked his bike and ran into the convenience store. With no time to choose, he quickly grabbed a bag of rice bread, paid for it and ran back out. This was one of the few snacks in the convenience store Yue Zhishi could eat.

It had rained all night last night. The rain in this city had always not been very gentle and would always be accompanied by lightning and thunder, making him unable to sleep at night. He remembered that it was also raining heavily the first night he spent at Song Yu's place. As soon as the thunder crashed, he was scared to tears and had rushed straight into Song Yu's room, climbing into his bed.

Please read this from kk translates

Since then, he instinctively began to rely on this brother who had no blood relations to him.

Yue Zhishi's father, Yue Yi, and Song Yu's father, Song Jin, were close friends who had grown up together.

The Yue old man had unfortunately passed away at a young age. Before moving to the UK, Yue Yi was practically a non-official member of the Song family, always eating together and living together. Yue Yi loved extreme sports. While rock climbing, he met a British girl called Olivia and the two fell in love and eventually gave birth to the lovely Yue Zhishi. Their happy times however didn't last long. Eleven years ago, the couple encountered an avalanche while skiing in the Alps and unfortunately both didn't make it.