Chapter 54: A Lifeline or a Knife

Song Yu couldn't hold back after all, and he pulled Yue Zhishi into his arms. He restrained himself and hugged him with a very, very light strength, so that the embrace looked more like he was comforting him — and not possessing him.

"I won't." Song Yu caressed Yue Zhishi's nape, his voice a bit husky. "Something like that won't happen again." Song Yu was already smart enough, but he couldn't understand how he could get Yue Zhishi to understand he actually really cared about him and actually didn't want to leave him at all. His feelings were like the tip of iceberg: he could only show one ten-thousandth of his feelings. Only then could he continue acting normally as an older brother should.

But he found it harder and harder to regulate his emotions. He wanted Yue Zhishi to understand how important he was to him, and yet he wasn't willing to expose his true desires to him. He borrowed Yue Zhishi's trust and reliance towards him to satisfy his own narrow-minded possessiveness.

"I will do everything I promised you."

Yue Zhishi quietly let Song Yu hug him. He didn't cry, didn't respond and was even more silent than the lake water. Song Yu felt a bit uneasy at this, as if Yue Zhishi thought the words he'd spoken were no longer useful — as if he would no longer ask him again and again like when he was a child, "Really? You promise."

Now that Yue Zhishi was grown up, Song Yu was a bit scared he wouldn't need his promises anymore.

But at the end, Yue Zhishi still lifted his hands and gently grabbed onto Song Yu's clothes at the small of his back. Even though the wrinkles on his clothes could disappear at any time after this mutual embrace ended, not leaving behind a shred of evidence, Song Yu was still slightly consoled by this.

Noticing Yue Zhishi's arms were a bit cold, Song Yu suggested taking him back. They walked on the plank road timidly, as if they were treading on thin ice, and yet they clutched each other's hands tightly. Once they arrived back to the shore, they returned once again to a safe distance from each other.

Yue Zhishi had already recovered by the time they stood underneath his dorm building. It was like he'd already forgotten what they just spoke about, and he started smiling to Song Yu again. "If you're going to basketball training, can you tell me ahead of time? I want to train with you."

Song Yu nodded in agreement, and then he raised a hand to touch Yue Zhishi's face, once again caressing Yue Zhishi's nape for a little while.

These movements exceeded Yue Zhishi's expectations. They made him feel like a little puppy who'd been given extra snacks; his heart very much liked them, but he didn't dare move. He was even more shaken after he left Song Yu and went upstairs — to the point that he silently said to Song Yu in his heart in distress and out of spite, don't touch me like that again.

But he wanted him to; he liked it.

When he reached the fourth floor, Yue Zhishi suddenly heard someone call his name. He saw Shen Mi once he lifted his head, and he was standing next to the windows in the corridor.

"Why are you here?" Yue Zhishi remembered he was drunk and asked again, "Are you feeling okay?"

Shen Mi chuckled and answered his second question first. "I didn't drink that much. I'm just a bit red, I'm not actually drunk." He then said quickly, "I sent you some messages after I got back. Since you weren't replying, I came over by myself. I waited for you for a while, but since you weren't back yet, I was getting ready to leave. I didn't expect you to come back now."

Yue Zhishi gave him a smile too. "I was walking around campus with my ge."

"I know." Shen Mi spoke a bit too quickly.