Chapter 67: Overtones

Yue Zhishi recovered a bit of consciousness from his heavy slumber when his alarm rang for the second time. Keeping his eyes closed, he stretched out an arm and aimlessly groped around for a long while before he finally found his phone; he poked at the screen multiple times before the alarm turned off.

He wasn't fully conscious yet. He squinted, wanting to see what time it was, and numbly pressed on the power button on the side. It was 9:03am. He'd initially prepared to go back to sleep, but abruptly, he realised the home screen was foreign to him — he only then realised it was Song Yu's phone.

Their phones were the same model and the same colour, and even their cases were the same. Yue Zhishi had bought his phone copying Song Yu.

Only his home screen was of an anime character he liked, while the phone in his hand showed a photo. It was the sun setting across the edges of Lingbo Gate, resplendent shards of gold scattered amongst the gleaming shimmers of the lake.

He clearly was barely awake, and yet just that one photo scraped against the soft spot in Yue Zhishi's heart. It wasn't the lake he saw, nor the sunset — but rather Song Yu, as he sat on the bench by the side of the lake, alone.

Yue Zhishi didn't dare think about what kind of mood he had been in as he took the photo.

Only one thin, pure white curtain was drawn in the room, and the autumn sunlight shone through, filling up the entire space. Yue Zhishi put down the phone and snuggled back under his blanket; Song Yu was lying on his side next to him. His sleeping face was very still, but it was somewhat gentler compared to how he usually looked. Yue Zhishi moved in until they were very close together, and he quietly focused on this face he'd looked up at since he was a child.

He'd never thought Song Yu would like him. That option had long been eliminated from his mind through both the ethical rules and common values of being a little brother. But the strange thing was, Yue Zhishi also hadn't thought Song Yu would end up liking someone else. Born with a cold yet handsome face, he was self-disciplined, outstanding and reserved — it was expected for others to chase after him, but he would definitely never stop and wait for someone else.

And yet that person had waited for him for so many years.

Despite saying just stay where you are and wait for me, he'd hesitated and not dared to move forward, turning into the actual person who'd stood still and waited.

Yue Zhishi half rose, not wanting to wake him up. He very lightly leaned over and kissed Song Yu's lips; his original plan was to give a brief morning kiss, but because he was reluctant to leave, he stayed for a few more seconds and ended up losing control.

He didn't know when Song Yu's arm had wrapped around his back. It held down his lower waist and immediately flipped him over, pressing him into the soft mattress as Song Yu deepened their kiss.

Song Yu's other hand caught one of Yue Zhishi's wrists and pinned it next to his pillow. As Yue Zhishi closed his eyes, Song Yu slid his fingers through the gaps between Yue Zhishi's fingers, interlacing them together a bit forcefully.

Yue Zhishi called out gege from time to time in the midst of their kiss. His voice was soft and breathy, and his free hand rested on Song Yu's back, fingers gripping his cotton pyjamas. He really enjoyed the feeling of Song Yu pressing him down with his entire bodyweight; he felt highly secure, so tightly surrounded by him that no one would be able to split them apart.

Stopping while he still could, Song Yu retreated just as the kiss deepened to a certain point.

Yue Zhishi was breathless. "When did you wake up? I didn't even realise..."