Chapter 43: Obscure Clues

Even Yue Zhishi himself didn't know how he managed to do something like that.

The intention seemed to have naturally sprung from his brain together with the memory of Song Yu hugging him. But after he finished moving into Song Yu's arms and heard his heartbeats, Yue Zhishi was shocked awake, thinking he'd gone crazy.

The thunder crashed again, and Yue Zhishi, who'd initially wanted to retreat, subconsciously clutched onto Song Yu's clothes.

He heard Song Yu's voice, filled with confusion.

"What did you say?"

Sure enough, he didn't remember.

For no reason at all, Yue Zhishi was unwilling to accept it. Actually, to them, hugging wasn't a big deal; Song Yu had often hugged him when they were younger. When it heavily rained during elementary school, Song Yu, who was also a child, would carry him up and let him wrap around him like a koala — that way, he wouldn't step into the rain water.

And even though he hadn't been allowed to hug him while they slept when it was thundering, whenever he was upset, Song Yu would actively wrap his arms around him. An embrace was a kind of silent comfort.

Yue Zhishi was already used to all of this, and yet he couldn't forget about Song Yu's mutual embrace while he was deeply asleep.

He clearly was the one who'd been hugged, but the one who actually did it didn't remember anything at all.

If it was someone else next to him, would he still have turned around and pulled them into his arms?

"I'm not lying, it was exactly like this." Yue Zhishi repeated, a bit obstinately. His head was snuggled into Song Yu's chest, and he lifted it up, looking at Song Yu's eyes.

They were very close. Even though they were in the dark, he could still faintly see Song Yu's face, and he could feel him frowning.

"I didn't think you were lying." Song Yu's heart was beating faster than Yue Zhishi had imagined, the reverberations magnified in the night. "I just don't remember something like that happening."

He paused, and then he said, "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention when I was sleeping."

Yue Zhishi released his hands little by little, and he withdrew from Song Yu's arms the moment the next white light flashed. He suddenly understood — he guessed that Song Yu had only considered him as a pillow on his bed at that time, or a blanket. This wasn't anything special to begin with.

"You don't need to apologise. I was just giving an example."

A hug couldn't be considered as a good example either.

Separated by a few centimetres of space, Yue Zhishi confessed his thoughts to Song Yu. "I actually really like it when you hug me. I feel very safe." Yue Zhishi then very quickly admitted, as if he was really scared of being admonished, "But that's really strange, I know."

Song Yu was very quiet, only touching his shoulder across the blanket when he heard Yue Zhishi's words.

Yue Zhishi was encouraged by this movement. He faced Song Yu and looked again at his eyes. "Just for tonight, can you hug me while we sleep?"

He started to continuously rationalise his request, just like when he wanted to eat something — he clearly and logically laid out his various motives. "Since the thunder outside still hasn't stopped, I can't sleep. I'll feel safer if I'm being hugged. And if I fall asleep earlier, you won't have to worry or mind me anymore. This could be considered as special circumstances. I won't be sleeping in the same bed with you every day, and it's not like it'll be storming and thundering every night."