Chapter-50 Catalytic Reaction

Remembering that Yue Zhishi and Shen Mi's books were still in his car, Song Yu suggested switching cars with Lin Rong. They exchanged car keys, and Song Yu went out of Yanghe Qizhe. Not long after Song Yu left, Yue Zhishi chased after him.

Song Yu had already started the car, but he still rolled down the window and looked at him when he saw Yue Zhishi come out.

Yue Zhishi was panting a bit from his run. He leaned against the car window, called out gege and asked, "Are you not happy about something?"

Song Yu's elbow was resting on the windowsill. He lifted an eyebrow. "Why do you ask?"

"I don't know either." Yue Zhishi pursed his lips. "I keep feeling like you and Shen Mi aren't getting along well, maybe I'm just imagining things. But I don't like it when he speaks to you like that."

Song Yu saw how worried he looked and slightly wanted to laugh. "A friend's come over for lunch, and yet you left him inside to run out by yourself. You're even talking badly about him — is this really good?"

He even said on purpose, "Shen Mi cares about you so much, he wants to go with you to everything you want to do. Unlike me, who still needs to go to a meeting even though I've already come back."

Yue Zhishi felt like everything Song Yu said this morning was hard to deal with it, but he was amused by these words. "Your words are so strange." He reached out a hand to adjust Song Yu's watch, ensuring it faced properly upwards on his wrist. "Drive slowly, it should be fine if you're late for a bit. You haven't even started your postgraduate studies yet, but you're already so busy..."

"Do you want to leave with me?" Song Yu abruptly opened his mouth.

Yue Zhishi immediately froze — he even thought he heard wrongly and kept staring at Song Yu, the hand holding Song Yu's wrist loosening.

"Just joking." A slight smile hung on Song Yu's face. He stretched out a hand and squeezed Yue Zhishi's nape. "Go back in and finish your food."

He still left by himself in the end, as if he sobered up in the space of a moment.

And then Yue Zhishi also woke up. He returned back to Yanghe Qizhe by himself.

Before he went inside, Yue Zhishi touched his own nape. He wasn't used to being touched there at all — in his memories, Song Yu had never done anything like that to him before. He was a bit not used to it, but he was also slightly pleased by the affectionate intimacy.

He hoped Song Yu would stop joking like that –- he really could take him away if he wanted. And yet he felt Song Yu was different from usual when he was joking: he felt even closer.

His contradictory and bewildered feelings left Yue Zhishi immersed in his own world after he returned. He didn't really respond to Shen Mi's chatter and also forgot to tell him to not speak to his gege like that.

After they finished eating, Lin Rong drove the two boys back. Shen Mi barely took the initiative to speak as they drove and was like a completely different person from when they first arrived. Yue Zhishi vaguely felt the atmosphere wasn't quite right, but he couldn't really tell why. He'd never liked pondering over other people's moods, and he also felt Shen Mi kept changing back and forth. Shen Mi was usually fine, but he'd changed into a different person after he met Song Yu and was different again now.

All of this left Yue Zhishi confused, but he didn't want his friend and gege to not get along.

Shen Mi's home was in the same neighbourhood as the Song family's and was very near. Lin Rong first dropped Shen Mi off at home, telling Yue Zhishi to help him take his books in.