Chapter 64: Pejoy Biscuit Candles

Rejecting someone felt better than Yue Zhishi imagined.

The preliminary round for the law school started, and Yue Zhishi saw Nan Jia as soon as he went inside. She was in charge of running the preliminary round, and she got all of the contestants to line up and pick a number. There were about fifty of them. Yue Zhishi was in the back of the line, and when Nan Jia saw him, she gave him a smile, very softly saying jiayou.

"Which number are you?"

"49. Second from the last." Yue Zhishi didn't think it was a good or a bad number, even though many people thought those near the end would be at a disadvantage.

He and Jiang Yufan headed towards the back of the classroom, sitting down once they found a row of empty seats. Jiang Yufan was even more nervous than Yue Zhishi as he watched the other students go up and explain their inspirations — he even felt a bit suffocated, and he ran to open the back door behind their seats.

"This is so hard. Even the audition for my comedy play wasn't so difficult." He ran back to sit next to Yue Zhishi.

Yue Zhishi nodded. "Then that means you're definitely talented at acting."

Jiang Yufan comforted him too. "You can definitely get through. Don't listen to that four-eyes and his nonsense."

Yue Zhishi chuckled; he actually hadn't been irritated by what Xu Lin said. On the contrary, his fighting spirit was ignited in a way: he hoped he could successfully enter the design team and compete against Xu Lin directly.

The law school's contestants brought up their work one after another, explaining their thinking process. After receiving the theme of 'lake', everyone's design styles were fundamentally the same and were just like Yue Zhishi's designs from before. The most common colours were green, blue and lake green, and the designs leaned heavily on the of as well as other traditional Chinese styles. There were a few designs that were astonishingly similar. Yue Zhishi saw the judges whispering with their heads together, the looks on their faces not ideal.

"Their concepts are so similar." Jiang Yufan knew he wasn't an expert, so he only whispered as he sat next to Yue Zhishi. "I'd believe it if someone said they were all designed by the same person."

Yue Zhishi nodded, and just as he was about to speak, a delicately pretty girl walked onto the stage. She wore a , and her voice was very thin and very timid — but one of her sentences captured Yue Zhishi's attention.

"I made my outfit myself."

The judges sitting below were also extremely surprised, all of them nodding. "You've done well. We wouldn't have realised if you didn't tell us."

Jiang Yufan looked at her powerpoint and leaned closely to Yue Zhishi, saying, "But her designs aren't too different from the ones earlier. It still gives off the feeling of ."

"That doesn't matter." Yue Zhishi explained, "The arts festival is a group competition between different schools, just like your comedy play. Each team needs to design, but they still need to create outfits for models to wear — so they also need someone who can construct the end product. Her chances of getting in are slightly higher."

Jiang Yufan understood. But he felt like it was very strange: everyone around them who had yet to go up was continuously looking over their own powerpoint and design drafts, preparing their commentary. Only Yue Zhishi listened with great interest as other people presented their works, and he even noted down the contestant names and designs that he liked, as though he was a judge.

When it came time for Yue Zhishi to go up, he didn't look too different from usual. He gave the judges below him a smile after he opened up his powerpoint, and he opened his speech very naturally. Jiang Yufan sat below, and he saw quite a few girls in the front rows lifting up their phones, cameras all faced towards Yue Zhishi.