Chapter 52: A New Gift

Lin Rong was always joking, saying she didn't know who Song Yu resembled. She always said this child's heart was harder than a rock — it wouldn't move even if it was poked, and it wouldn't react even if it was knocked.

Stone-hearted Song Yu always appeared to be satisfied with what he had, never showing any interest in other people and the outside world. He never expressed his emotions and never showed his thoughts, and Yue Zhishi thought he liked living hidden away like that — he truly was like a buried piece of rock.

So whenever he expressed anything, it looked visibly, particularly out of place.

In the darkened dorm room, Yue Zhishi again and again turned on his phone, clicked into that Moments update, looked at it and closed his phone. These meaningless and repetitive actions weren't able to dispel the pleasure boiling over in his heart, and he had no way to peacefully fall asleep.

His intellect weakened under his pleasure, and so Yue Zhishi no longer thought about why Song Yu acted so differently, forcing himself to close his eyes and sleep while he hugged this fickle happiness.

Song Yu came back from his field operations on the day Yue Zhishi needed to attend the tryouts for the basketball main team. He initially hadn't had any confidence, but Qin Yan pulled at him, saying he may as well try it out and it was fine even if he didn't get in. He'd agreed, and one hour before he needed to meet Qin Yan in front of the university gym, he received Song Yu's phone call.

"I'm almost at your faculty." Song Yu asked where he was.

Yue Zhishi didn't say anything further, running directly to look for his gege. It was a very sunny day, the shadows of the trees interlacing with bright spots of sunshine, and Yue Zhishi was wearing a white, yellow-trimmed basketball jersey. He ran past some girls carrying parasols, a breeze following behind him.

Song Yu stood next to the clear glass doors inside the ground floor of a classroom building. He was looking at his phone, head half lowered, and there were clearly people going to and fro — and yet it was like he was surrounded by an aura naturally isolating him from the rest of the world. Yue Zhishi saw him as soon as he arrived.

He pushed open the door and went in. The aircon was turned on very highly, and he was unable to stop himself from shuddering from the sudden change in temperature. He happened to be seen just as Song Yu raised his head, and affection very clearly entered Song Yu's indifferent eyes as he walked towards Yue Zhishi from the pillar in the hall.

"How come you're dressed like this?" Song Yu looked at his jersey. Yue Zhishi's collarbones and arms were both exposed, and with a white coloured jersey, his innately pale skin made him look like a little porcelain man once he stood underneath the sun.

"I need to go the gym in a bit, Qin Yan gege said he's taking me to the tryouts." Afraid Song Yu would laugh at him, Yue Zhishi decided to attack himself first. "I know I definitely won't be chosen, I just want to go have a look."

Once he was closer, he smelled a light lemon fragrance from Song Yu's body. It was the fragrance of his usual shower gel, and he realised Song Yu was wearing a loose white t-shirt without any decorations on it. He wasn't wearing a backpack, his hair loose and relaxed, and he looked almost lazy. He didn't look tired or worn out from coming back from his outside field operations at all.

"It'll be very dangerous for your body to compete," Song Yu still decided to say.

Yue Zhishi said, changing the conversation topic, "Did you shower after coming back?"

Song Yu paused, saying after a long while, "Mn." His facial expression looked a bit awkward. "I feel more comfortable after showering."

"You smell really nice." Yue Zhishi took a step closer. "I especially like the smell of this shower gel. It's a bit like that boyfriend cologne my previous high school desk mate gave me to smell."