Chapter 68: Dark and Gloomy Breeding Ground

Song Yu's provocation having reached that point, he decided to let it go once he saw Yue Zhishi's red ears.

A waiter pushed open the door to the room and placed dishes one after another onto the table, a platter with a large set into the very middle. An equal mix of chopped spicy red chillies and pickled green peppers were poured over the top, and delicate fish flesh soaked in the sauce along with its translucent layers of gelatine. It was spicy, and yet the sourness of the pickled peppers teased the appetite. Yue Zhishi really liked mixing his rice with the steamed fish head's sauce, and it would be even better if he could get a mouthful of to eat with it. Mashing the soft, roasted peppers with preserved eggs until everything was crushed together made the entire dish creamy and silky — and a light, mild milky fragrance could be savoured.

He loved the kind of delicious dishes that were made using every day ingredients; they were like the majority of everyone's lives: everyone was very ordinary, yet there would always be someone who lived their lives filled with pleasure and beauty.

Both Qin Yan and Jiang Yufan were the type to really take care of their partners when in a relationship. They were constantly serving food and pouring soup for their girlfriends, and noises of their mutual teasing and nagging, clever jokes or snappy lines, were heard around the table. They made the lunch very lively. Yue Zhishi was watching them while he ate, and he occasionally joined in their chatter with a few words; when he lowered his head, he realised his own bowl suddenly held an extra piece of fish, free of bones with no scallions or minced ginger. There was also a small portion of the fish collar — something Yue Zhishi enjoyed eating.

He looked at Song Yu and quietly said to him, "You eat it."

Song Yu didn't speak. He lowered his head and drank some soup, saying he didn't like that part.

"How delicious are fish collars, it's usually super expensive when you buy them grilled," Qin Yan said.

Hearing them talk about fish collars, Jiang Yufan stared at Yue Zhishi's face for a while from his seat directly across from him. He stared until Yue Zhishi lifted his head and met his eyes, and then he poked in the air with his chopsticks. "Le Le, why do you have a split lip?"

Shen Mi and Nan Jia also peeked at him.

"Huh?" Yue Zhishi subconsciously licked his lip before remembering something. His face madly flushed, and he said, "The weather's been a bit dry lately... My lips have been peeling, and I accidentally split it when I was picking at the skin."

Song Yu pushed a cup of water in front of him as soon as he finished speaking. "Drink."

Yue Zhishi glanced at him, but he could only obediently pick up the boiled water he'd been unwilling to drink.

"I think it's been okay. The last few days have been damned humid with it raining every day. We've only been able to practice indoors." Qin Yan stretched. "Once your arts festival's over, it'll be about time for basketball season to start. And then we'll have to continue training. Brother Song, come over and help with the new kids when you're free."

Song Yu put down his chopsticks, mildly saying, "We can talk about it again when I'm back."

"Back?" Jiang Yufan was curious. "Senior, are you heading out for field work again?"

Yue Zhishi was obviously much more surprised than he was — he almost choked, and he ended up coughing for a while.

"Mn." Song Yu gave him some more water, and the tone of his voice was much gentler than before, sounding as though he was explaining only to him. "I was notified only last night."

No wonder. They'd met in the middle of the night yesterday, and they hadn't been able to speak about other things.

"Then how long will you be gone? Will you leave the province?" Yue Zhishi hurriedly asked, not bothering with his water.