Chapter 28: A Change in Plans

Yue Zhishi motioned for Song Yu to hush and lightly tugged on one of his pyjama sleeves. His pair of eyes looked pitifully at him, begging Song Yu to not expose him.

Song Yu cleared his throat and recovered his usual demeanour. He wasn't planning on revealing Yue Zhishi to his parents anyway, so he prepared to walk away.

But Yue Zhishi held onto his sleeve and shook his head at him. Yue Zhishi was wearing a pair of dusty blue pyjamas, hair slightly mussed, and in Song Yu's eyes, this all made him look particularly small and fragile.

Song Yu stopped moving and met Yue Zhishi's eyes for a few seconds. His face shifted, taking on a look of slight helplessness, and he took one step forward closer to Yue Zhishi.

Yue Zhishi pointed at his stomach before showing Song Yu the cinnamon roll in his hand. Song Yu pretty much understood what happened and calmly took a sip of water.

Lin Rong decided to call out, "Xiao Yu, there are some cinnamon rolls in the oven. Give them a try, they're really nice."

Song Yu responded to her without any real inflection in his voice, his eyes staring at Yue Zhishi and the icing smeared across one of his cheeks.

"It does look quite yummy."

Yue Zhishi quickly stuffed the remaining half of his roll into his mouth and wiped his face and hands clean.

Hearing her taciturn older son suddenly give her a word of praise, Lin Rong was immensely pleased. "Then you guys should give some to your classmates tomorrow. I bet Xiao Yan will love them."

"Mm." Song Yu held onto his bottle. After thinking about it, he decided to help Yue Zhishi escape from this precarious situation, so he said to his parents, "Aren't you guys going to clean up for bed?"

Lin Rong was lying on her husband. "I'm not in any rush."

Song Yu then said, "It's really late." He walked out of the kitchen and pointed at the clock. "You'll distract your true born son from sleeping if you keep walking up and down the stairs." These words were a bit amusing coming out of his calm, emotionless voice.

Song Jin laughed and got up to go upstairs, thinking his words were reasonable. Lin Rong was also amused and ran to Song Yu after getting off the sofa. "Hey, are you being jealous of Le Le?"

Thinking she was planning on heading over to where he was, Yue Zhishi frantically squeezed himself behind the fridge, practically sitting onto the countertop directly.

Song Yu, with absolutely no change in his face or voice, grabbed his mother's shoulders and pushed her outside. "Upstairs. Shower."

He only walked back into the open plan kitchen after he finished rushing his parents upstairs and made sure they closed the door of their master bedroom. He saw Yue Zhishi sitting on the countertop and thought it was a bit funny.

But he didn't laugh — because if he thought about it again, he would find Yue Zhishi very pitiful.

He never wanted Yue Zhishi to be trapped in this kind of situation again.

"Thank you, gege." Yue Zhishi jumped off the countertop. He begged Song Yu to go upstairs together with him as a human shield, just in case Lin Rong decided to come out of her room.

Song Yu knew there was no way he would be able to actually hide Yue Zhishi behind his body, but he agreed anyway, walking with him all the way until they safely reached the entrance of Yue Zhishi's room. Before he shut the door, Yue Zhishi very softly told him goodnight. Song Yu nodded, and then he heard Yue Zhishi speak again.