Chapter 38: Starting School Gift

Yue Zhishi spoke very seriously, only just to have his face covered by Song Yu's large hand.

"What are you doing?" He lifted his own hand, wanting to remove his gege's troublesome hand, and heard Song Yu say, "You need to get better at observing other people's reactions."

"Huh?" Yue Zhishi wrapped his two hands around Song Yu's wrist, slightly surprised.

"They're very supportive." Without any expression on his face, Song Yu tilted his head. "Just like you."

He lightly patted Yue Zhishi's cheek twice after he finished speaking and then turned around to open the door of Yue Zhishi's room. "I'm leaving."

Yue Zhishi felt he did something foolish again, but thinking about how everyone supported Song Yu, he thought it was nothing to do something silly like this if everyone was satisfied. Song Yu very naturally applied to the university he wanted to attend, and the day the acceptance letter came, the entire family was particularly happy. Since their eldest child managed to get into university, the Song family, for all intents and purposes, needed to treat their relatives to a meal.

As they sat around the dinner table, older Uncle Song expressed his dissatisfaction at Song Yu's choice multiple times.

"Hopeless. Everyone who does well on the entrance exams all go Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou. What's the point in staying here? And such an unpopular field of study too. Young people these days all either study IT or something high tech. Easier to earn money."

Yue Zhishi was very angry at this form of parental criticism, but he had no position to retort back. He could only give Song Yu some pieces of beef.

"I don't lack money," Song Yu very flatly said. "The majors you mentioned are all very good, but I have no interest in them."

His aunt chuckled and said, as if trying to smooth things over, "Xiao Yu, your uncle's just thinking of you. Yes, it's important to be interested in what you want to study, but geomatics is too unpopular. So many people haven't even heard of it. Wouldn't it be hard to find a job?"

"And yes, Wuhan U is very good, but you would've been able to get into Tsinghua with your score. It's such a pity. It would've been fine even if you'd ended up taking a slightly more ordinary degree at Tsinghua. You're still too young. When you're later looking for work, no matter what degree you have, people will respect you as soon as you say you graduated from Tsinghua."

Lin Rong couldn't help but snap, "In that case, sister-in-law, why don't you go work in Tsinghua's cafeteria? Why are you still working in a local school? You should believe in yourself a bit more, it'll sound so good to say you work in Tsinghua's cafeteria."

Their aunt had nothing to say to Lin Rong's brusque words. It was very difficult for Yue Zhishi to hold back his laughter — his leg started shaking in his amusement and only stopped when Song Yu reached below the table and held it down.

Since the atmosphere was slightly awkward, Song Jin said a few words. "Yes, Xiao Yu's score truly could've taken him to those universities. But if we think about it, if he went to Tsinghua and studied something he didn't like and ended up with a job he didn't want, he would've struggled to be happy. We don't want him to have a future like that. Since he's already planned out his life and wants to continue researching into geomatics in the future, then naturally he needed to choose the best school for that field. Of course," he said, looking at Song Yu, "uncle and auntie are just sharing their life experiences with you. You should listen to them too."

Yue Zhishi silently thought, they didn't even go to university, what experiences can they have? It's just that they found an opportunity to point their fingers at their family to nitpick.