Seven

Arden
•••

I'm starting to think, that no one here likes me. At least, none of the students.

   Levi and Cater show me to a table. One, front and center of the others.

There aren't a lot of students here, maybe fifteen. It's not common to have unique abilities. But no matter how powerful or small, if you have them you're sent here.

For your safety, and I'm sure others.

"Why are you guys sitting with me?" I ask looking around. Everyone seems to be wondering the same question.

"Why not?" Cater smiles at me.

"We've actually been put on babysitting duty." Levi says mumbling, due to the eggs he had just shoved into his mouth.

   The servants, or workers, had just brought us all plates of food.

"Levi!" Carter scolds. "Don't be mean."

"What it's true!" Levi defends himself, before turning to me. "I told you I'm not a liar, and I'm planning on keeping it that way."

I cringe at the word babysitter. Do they think I'm going to go around killing people? I mean, ok I get that my dad is public enemy number one. But that doesn't mean I am too.

"Care to go into more detail?" I ask. I move the food around with my fork. You don't think anyone would...

"No one poisoned it." A girl says sitting down in front of me. My eyes snap up in shock. One, because that's exactly what I was thinking. And two, someone other than Will, Levi, and Carter were talking to me. I look at the pretty blonde girl.

"How did you... Can you..." I start to question.

"No one can read minds, if that's what you're asking. The closest thing to a mind reader we have is Will." Levi says chewing. "You're just an open book sunshine." I am not an open book...

   I look around. Carter, and the mystery girl look at me nodding. You can't blame me. I've never had to hide my feeling before, I didn't have anyone to hide them from.

"I'm Iliana, my friends call me Lily." She says leaning over and reaching out her hand. I'm about to reach out and shake it, until a voice stops me.

"Don't touch her, Iliana." Gwen says looking down at her hand. "She could kill you."

I snap my eyes in her direction. "I've never killed anyone."

"Gwen, can you please go away." Levi groans putting his head on the table. "I can't listen to your bitchy voice today."

Gwen scoffs, "Don't act like you don't like me Levi." I can tell she's about to say something else but Will's voice beats her to it.

"You look lovely today." My eyes snap up, clearly shocked. My heart starts to quicken, not knowing how to respond.

   "Thank you, Will." Gwen says.

   My cheeks pinken in embarrassment. Why did I think he was talking to me?

   He gives her a polite nod and smile. I want to laugh, god I sound so stupid in my head. Believe me, I have no feelings or interest in this boy.

   But I'm stupid to think he would complement me. A girl like me, would never be something to him. Not because I'm not pretty enough, or smart enough, but because I am the villain. Nothing but bad. And he was the hero, nothing but good.

    The hero that would do anything to protect everyone from me.

   I can tell that Gwen likes Will. The red in her cheeks is almost as red as her hair.

   She wipes her hands on her side, clearly nervous and flustered. Her eyes, look down unable to meet his. And to make things funnier, she completely changes her attitude. "I, ummm." She stutters. "I should go to my food before it gets cold."

   William takes a seat by Lily. "Oh, I hate when you're nice to her." She complains.

   "He has to be," Levi says. "She's the general's daughter. Will can't have her family hating his."

   "Is that why you guys are sitting with me?" I ask. All eyes snap towards me in shock. Not waiting for someone to respond, I go on. "You know, since you have to babysit me and all. Are they trying to make you guys friends with me? Make me like you guys enough to be on your side?"

   "You're angry." Will simply says, picking up a fork and taking a bite of his eggs.

   "Yea, I'm fucking angry." I say standing up, earning a few glances. "I don't want to be here, I want to go home, but everyone is keeping me here, I did..."

   The anger leaves my body as soon as it came. "You should sit back down." Lily says, taking a sip of her water.

And I do. Not because I listen to what they tell me, but because of the sudden tiredness that filled my body.

"What did you do to me?" I turn looking at Will.

"You're looking at the wrong person." He says taking a bite of his apple and nodding Levi's direction.

"What did you do to me?" I ask again, looking at him. Normally during a situation like this, not that I've ever been in one, I would assume I'd be mad. But, I don't feel anything. I feel perfectly content.

Levi shrugs, "Everyone a favor. You would of made a scene, it would of been uncomfortable for everyone."

I look around, everyone's attention seems to be moving away from us. But like before, we are still getting the curious and disgusted glances. I'm even getting dirty looks from this boy who looks no older than eleven.

I should keep a mental note to ask them more about the school later, once I'm not confused on what's happening right now.

"I don't understand..."

"You'll have to forgive Levi." Liliana says. "He needs to learn manners about using his powers on people."

   "People love my manners, sis."

Realization hit me. Of course, I don't know why I never thought to ask them about their powers. I think about what she had just said. My eyes widen. "Sister?" I ask.  "Liliana is your sister?"

   "Lily, call me Lily."

I'm stupid, how did I not see it before. They are splitting images of each other. "But yes. Twin actually." Lily smiles, looking proud. My heart drops at that word.

Will, of course, notices my change of mood. "You seem sad to hear that." He notes. I hate when he goes into my head. "Why?"

"You don't like the fact we are twins?" Levi jokes. "You have something against twins?"

"No, I had a twin."

•••