Twenty Nine

Arden.
•••

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

It's been two days since Will's birthday. Two. And I have the stone, hiding under my pillow case.

How did I manage to get it?

Thanks to the countless of drinks my friends had, and Levi's suggestion to see the royal jewel room to see Will's new gifts, it was as easy as taking candy from a baby. So now I'm currently freaking out, well mentally.

I'm a bad person. I'm manipulative, a bitch, evil, full of regret.

"Arden?" I sit up, hearing Will's voice at the door. Why is he here so late? Did they know?

I quickly get out of bed, and open the door. "Will!" I greet.

His eyes roam my body, then look back meeting mine. Oh shit, he knows. He's giving me a weird look. I'm caught. "Will?" I say once again, nervous.

I look at him confused. Here he is, the prince, looking at me nervously, with pink in his cheeks. He clears his throat, scratching the back of his neck. "I wanted to see if you were still awake."

"Well, obviously I am." I laugh.

"I see that." He mumbles again, scanning my body once more. I look down at my night gown, and hold in my gasp.

This gown is not one a lady should be seen in, especially by a prince. If I'd known I was getting a visitor, I would of never put it on. It was a gift that Gwen had given me the day prior. It wasn't my birthday or anything, she had simply given me a gift because she wanted to. Gwen is very strange, yet kind.

"Would you like to go on a walk?" He says suddenly.

"Sure, let me just let me put something on."

***

We are walking in silence.

Not because we don't have anything to talk about, but because it's so late and we aren't supposed to be out.

The last thing I want is to be caught past curfew with the prince, especially in my outfit. I didn't end up changing, but instead put on a thick wool coat to cover up my sleeping gown.

Will leads us outside, towards the lake. Once we are far enough from the school, I begin to talk. "So why did you want to go on a walk?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"Are you worried about your mission?" I ask. Him and Levi are being sent on mission tomorrow. Carter is still on a break from them, but the other boys are finally allowed.

"Not really." He says, continuing to walk.

"Oh, is there something you want to talk about?" I silently pray that he has no clue I have the gem.

"No, not really."

"Oh, ok." It's quiet for a few moments. "Then why did you want me to go on a walk with you?"

We finally reach the lake. Will doesn't answer me, but takes off his jacket and lays it on the grass. He motions for me to sit on it, while he takes a seat besides his jacket.

I sit down. "Will?"

He lays back in the grass and sighs, "Can I not simply want to just go on a walk?"

I turn and look down at him. "Of course you can, but why with me?"

He closes his eyes, a coy smilie appearing. "I think you're a pleasant person, Arden. Despite the few comments I say here and there. I do think we have finally earned the title of friends."

I roll my eyes, and lay next to him. It's quite nice, the quietness. I look at the boy next to me, he doesn't seem like a prince at this moment. Just a boy, looking at the stars. I turn and look up.

I gasp when I see a falling star. I've never seen one before.

"Make a wish." He chuckles quietly.

"On what?"

"The shooting star."

"You want me to make a wish on a star?" I ask confused.

"Do you not do that?"

Maybe that's a thing kids are supposed to do. Make wishes on anything they can. My dad told me never to make a wish, said I'd always find myself disappointed.

"I guess I do now." I whisper, silently making a wish in my head.

   I wish I didn't have the gem.

"What did you wish for?" I turn my head asking him.

"I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"It's against the rules." He laughs.

"It's fine, I won't tell anyone."

He shakes his head amused, but still complies. "I wished I could freeze time, stay here forever."

I study his face. I study the curls of his hair, the freckle on his forehead, the slight curl of his lip. "Why?"

"Because there's something peaceful about this moment. I'm just a boy, laying down next to a girl." My cheeks pinken at the mention of me. "None of us worrying about any of our responsibilities, wishing on wishless stars."

I give him a slight shove, "You give me the impression that my wish would come true. I'm going to be quite angry if I find out I was lied to."

He turns his head and smiles at me. "I do hope your wish comes true Arden."

I have a weird feeling in my stomach, one that I really didn't like. And my heart, why is my heart beating unusually fast?

"What if my wish was bad?" I joke.

"You deserve to have a wish come true once in your life, no matter how dark and twisted it might be."

The intensity of his gaze was getting too hard to handle, I quickly turn away and look back towards the sky. "Is it too late to change my wish?"

"You'll get another chance."

"Ok, good."

Because I wanted to change my wish. I wanted nothing more than to wish this feeling away. Wish away the swirling in my stomach and pounding in my chest.

Wish away all the guilt I felt.

No matter how much I wish it wasn't true, I did feel something for him. I felt something for all of my friends here.

Friends.

How it would be so much easier if they weren't anything to me.
•••