Trust (Part 4)

Natalie

"Can I drive?"

My question seems to shock Wyatt and he looks from the store to me mouth open. "Why?"

"I'm about to put a load of trust into you, if you can let me drive." I say. He hesitates for a moment but moves, its awkward because he doesn't want to get out of the car, he ends up in the backseat with the boys. I manage to get in the drivers seat with less problems.

"We have to start towards the meet up soon." He edges. "I can give you directions."

"Just a hour before we go, it might not even take a hour." I respond and pull out of the parking spot.

Really I don't understand Wyatt, being so trusting. I wouldn't let a prisoner take me somewhere unnamed. I could see him in the rear view mirror though, watching not only me but where we were going. He had put trust in me, but was ready to draw the gun I had given him. I don't blame him.

The first stop takes us twenty minutes, I speed past a bunch of people. The one cop we past didn't care, they were speeding off somewhere else. The building I pull up to is a large apartment complex, its one of the only ones in the city.

"I need to grab something from here."

"Now isn't the time to grab clothes." Wyatt chides me and I shake my head.

"I'm not getting clothes, what I need is in the main office right on the first floor." I don't give him time to argue. I hop out of the hummer, and jog, trying not to freak out the few people walking past. I pull open one of the large wooden and glass doors and head straight back to the left.

The main room is dingy, clean but with a lack of light that made it seem like a man cave more then a foyer to a apartment complex. There's a small counter in the corner, a door behind it. I go to the counter and start ringing the bell constantly.

Ding ding ding ding....

I must ring it a dozen times before I hear him yell. "What!?" The door behind the counter opens to a tall man, balding with thick glasses. I couldn't ever tell if he was a old looking forty or a decent looking sixty. His eyes find me and he stops. "The hell you here for?"

"I need my shit." I know he knows what I mean and he shakes his head.

"You escape or?" The answer to that muttered question would determine if I got what I want. And he knew when someone was lying, even me.

"Someone changed the judges mind and set a bail. I just got out but I need my shit." He took a second to look me up and down, deciding. I started hitting the bell again.

He huffed out a angry sound and muttered about ungrateful kids as he went into the back. I didn't have to wait more then a minute or to for him to come back and I was hit with my bag. Its a hiking backpack one of the biggest I could get in all black. A small 9mm strapped to each side and full of everything I would need in a hurry. A second bag comes flying at me and I barley have time to catch it, ending up hugging both to me while trying not to fall over from the weight.

"I saved some of the clothes that weren't destroyed or taken by the pigs." Olaf sniffs and I give him a slow nod, I silent thanks.

Before I could turn to leave I look the old man up and down. He wasn't the nicest person, he's mean and greedy most of the time. I couldn't not warn him though, because in a dark world he treated me somewhat decently. "If I were you I'd grab your shit and leave. What they are saying on the news isn't a hoax."

He stares at me, eyes hard like he doesn't believe, so I tell him. "Just pack and get out of the city for a day, if its real you can thank me. If its not you can call me a fucking idiot."