(Part 25)

Adam had pulled me aside, he told me Mato is a good leader to his group, but he is struggling with being a second in charge with a community. He told me Mato was going with Anthony and I, even though I complained he wasn't changing his mind. Mato needed some time outside of the walls, and it would help them both if one of them saw what it was like outside. Micah's group showed up right before we left, Adam told them our plan and they agreed. We left with them following in one of the old beat-ups, we took them to the U-Haul and left them to do their thing. We then drove down the main road, all the way north to the edge of what was comfortable range of the huge hoard of zombies.

Mato looked at the hoard with a solemn face, taking it all in, all the dead people of all ages. Anthony turned the car around after a moment, allowing Mato the time to process what he saw I pointed to a gas station as we drove back over the main road. Anthony parked at a angle, front facing the road just in case. There's a loading truck in front of the gas station, with its ramp down, but the door closed.

I get out of the car, sword ready in my right hand. Anthony follows me out with his gun pointed at the ground, he takes the right as I take the left. I go around the truck while he goes around the small gas station, I hear two small pops of noise as he disappears behind the building. I move to the back of the truck and open it, a cool gust of air hitting me. There's boxes and crates of what look like frozen foods. Entering into the back I use one of my only last clean knives to open it, inside is a bunch of frozen pizzas. Another box opens to show me a box of ice cream bars.

The ramp goes up in and into the back for I close and latch the back door. Mato is out of the car, looking around the front of the gas station and then the other buildings. He finally turns to me. "What's in it?"

"Its a refrigerated truck with a ton of frozen goods." I say going back to the cab of the truck and opening the door, the keys to it are still in the engine but the engine is off. "We can drive over to Ace and drop off the truck before heading to the school."

"Yeah."Mato says, I close the cab door and walk over to him. He looks like hes still processing things and I shake my head at him. For such a big strong guy he processes stuff slowly.

Moving over to the gas station Anthony is already inside, I move in and go straight over to the fridge area. I browse the small selection and pick out a can of beer, I hear a snort coming from behind me. I do the lady like thing by grabbing one of my knives, stab the side of the beer can, pop the top and shot gun it.

"We aren't here to get drunk." Mato says from the front door of the gas station.

I drop the empty can on the ground and start moving down the line of the gas station refrigerators. "You get drunk off one beer? What a light weight."

I see Anthony's shoulders shaking slightly in a silent laugh. Mato's eyes narrow on me. I move to behind the counter, grabbing a pack of cigarettes and a few lighters. Those go into my bag along with a few bottles of hard liquor. Mato doesn't seem like he likes my choices because he snarls at me over the counter. "Cigarettes and booze. That's why you wanted to come in here?"

"Yup." I say easily hauling my backpack back on. Anthony is curious, looking to the empty pile of lighters, the bottles of booze add that to the full fuel can in the car.. and well you have most of the idea for my plan. Mato didn't know that, but it seems Anthony is picking up on it real fast. I walk out from behind the counter, dodging Mato's hand that shoots out to grab me. "Gotta be faster big guy."

I laugh at him trying for me, I half sprint to the cab of the truck. Jumping in I hit the locks just as he try's for the passenger door, I close the driver door and give him a wave with my fingers. He didn't like that and try's shaking the door open and yells. "Open the fucking door."