Alpha Three (Part 19)

Micah

My dad stands in the middle of the court, most people are sitting at the picnic tables, on the ground or standing around the outside of it. I'm pretty sure almost everyone is here for the meeting, only a handful of guards are gone. We will update them when the time comes.

"Alright Alight." Dad says raising his hands to get everyone to stop muttering for the moment. "We all had one of the most horrific days in our life yesterday. Our world has changed in a way we could never have imagined. We have lost loved ones and have loved ones that might still be out there." He pauses as someone sobs from the group, hands go to the person to comfort them. "We are welcoming all of you to stay here, there will be rules. If you want to leave for what ever reason, at any time, we will give you a few days worth of rations and a car filled with gas."

Dad pauses again at the uptick in muttering from people. North glances over to me questioningly. He's probably wondering if my dad was serious, if he'd really give people our food. And he is, I also agree with him. People needed to be able to make their own choices, to know they aren't prisoners here.

"In the upcoming few days I want to get a work schedule filled out. Everyone will have a job, if your not skilled in anything we have available we will fill you into something. If you end up not liking it we will switch your job." My dad doesn't wait for the muttering to stop, he just speaks a little louder. "The first few months we will have to work like hell to make sure everyone here is comfortable."

"What about houses?" One man asks.

"Yeah, my husband and I are sharing a bed in a room full of people." A women says.

"We have plans." My dad says. "Today we are sending out three teams, which means everyone here at camp is going to have to be on guard and careful. The first team will be a scout team, two will go out and scout for more survivors and resources. The second will be to grab every RV in the area that we know of. The third will be getting big rigs and bringing trailer homes to the camp."

I know that some people wont like that, living in a RV. I just hope reality sets in and they can see what is actually going on. That we are so lucky to be here and we need to build it up and defend ourselves as soon as possible. I'm not naive, I know that the infected aren't our only problem. Alive people can be just as bad and in some cases worse then the infected.

"Soon we will also have training open."

"Can we be put on a scouting team?" One women asks, I think she was one of the teachers Lex and Nattie rescued last night.

My dad nods at her question. "We will do training sessions, if you impress us we will put you on guard duty and put you in as a possibility to go out."

"Do we have to do this training?" The women from before sneered.

My dad just frowned. "We wont force anyone into training, but I highly suggest on coming to a few just so you know your way around a weapon so you don't hurt yourself in the future." He claps his hands together. "Now I'll take more questions, and then we will be getting the teams together in a hour. If anyone has any knowledge of driving big rigs or loading up a trailer house I would appreciate the help."