Saving the Nanny (Part 6)

Natalie

After two bags of jerky, a gas station sandwich and half a bottle of a sports drink I curl my legs up to me and lean my head on the window. Sleeping with three guns, two knives and a short sword isn't the most comfortable, but it'll work. Though I don't sleep very much in the next two or three hours, I'm in and out because of the gun shots we hear, the screaming of people nearby until we move farther away from the city we were near.

Wyatt takes back roads, it seems people decided to pack up and go north. A horrible idea because it just spreads the infection faster through the country.

"B-B-B.... onder." I hear the crackle of the radio pulling me from my half asleep self. I pick it up as it goes off again. "Onder from... ahh."

"Shit radio frequencies." Wyatt says. "They are supposed to be military grade, try holding it in the air."

There wasn't much holding in the air I could do in the hummer so I roll down the window. Placing the radio between my knees I put my hands on the outside of the top of the window. I see Wyatt's panicked glace as I haul myself half out the window, half sitting on the window of the door and clutching the roof rack I grab the radio with my free hand and lift it up higher.

"Boy... onder."

"Boy Wonder!" Wyatt yells from inside, how he heard I had no idea. "That's my name, yours is Spider."

I rolled my eyes, we would have to have that changed ASAP. It comes again. "Foo.. Alpha one."

It was getting a little less staticy, I guess we were either driving closer or the few feet of height actually helped. I click the radio button. "This is Spider with Boy Wonder."

I said it slowly, trying to get as much of it across as possible. There's a short pause and I have to duck as a tree branch comes a little to close to my face. "Case.. stuck on.. way 154."

"Someone named Case is stuck on highway 154?" I ask Wyatt and I hear a slew of cuss words fly out of his mouth.

"Bad word!" I think its Mikey that's saying that.

"Casey is a nanny for my cousin, they lived in Nashville." Wyatt cusses again and Mikey keeps tally shouting numbers from the back. "154 is a long highway, try to get something we can go off of."

"Highway 154 near what?" I ask into the radio, after a second I ask. "Nearest crossing?"

"Last known." There is a pause and then a answer. "Sleepy Hollow."

"Copy." Was there a street called Sleep Hollow? I moved back into the car just before another branch came out to hit the roof of the hummer. A map is thrown in my face the second I'm in. I want to slap Wyatt for that, but he said his cousins nanny, which means his cousin or the kids might be in danger.

"We are just outside of Jamestown." Wyatt points to a sign. "We are going to have to go around on 154 to avoid most of the actual city."

"Well step on the gas, there aren't many cars down the roads you've been going." Most of them had been very bumpy roads, and I've only seen a handful of cars actually go down them with us. Those cars were speeding like the hounds of hell were behind them. I open the map and find 154, then the road called Sleepy Hollow. "Its right outside of Jamestown on the other side from us."

Putting the map down I dig in my suit case and pull out all black sneakers. Sure I loved my heels, and I could do basically everything in them. What I couldn't do is run long distances. For now it would be better to be safe and prepared then have sore feet or a broken ankle later.