Alpha one (The End)

We finally made it to Indiana, well the boarder of Illinois and Indiana. We had gone all day, we could ignore stop signs and lights, but we had to stop to move cars or figure out a way around the mess in the streets. We camped out in a small hotel in a small city in southern Illinois and have been on the road three hours so far this morning. The boys are just starting to actually wake up and wanting to run around. Before we have to move between Louisville and Nashville I decided we could stop, for a quick breakfast and for the boys to get out morning energy.

"We are what?" Natalie asks walking up to me, a little sway in her hips and a small smirk on her face. She had been in a great mood the last day and a half. "Three quarters of the way?"

"Close to it, but we have two large city's to move between." My arm goes over her shoulders to pull her close to me, one of her arms goes around my lower back and her head hits my chest. Even in my wildest dreams I hadn't thought that I would be here, with her. Those first few days of her being around, I didn't want her to be around really. She kept going out though, risking herself to scout around and save people. She brought back supply's and cleared out areas to help our future, and she took in people, started to train them in self defense.

"I'm excited to get back." She says I raised my brows at her.

"For the relationship part?" I joke.

She shakes her head. "I'm scared of the relationship part, but the orgasm part sounds awesome."

I let out a laugh, because at least she was truthful about it, and I would be lieing if I said I wasn't worried or a little scared about how the relationship part would go. Over the past year or so I had almost resigned myself to never being in a long term relationship, my work was everything. Looking to Charlie I had thought I'd end up there, just working with my team for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'd find someone when I was older, but kids weren't on the table, at least they weren't. It's something I can now think about, adopted mostly. If I brought up the idea of Natalie getting pregnant she'd probably run for the hills, and I wouldn't blame her. Plus it was to soon to think about something like that. We already had three kids to think of between us all, and more at camp without anyone.

Natalie turns in my arms to look out over our little caravan of people, she lets out a sigh. Just before I feel her stiffen. "Oh shit."

She off in a blink of an eye, not allowing me to process anything until I hear the scream of one of my nephews. It feels like my heart drops out of my chest when I see her run over to my nephew. She slides in front of where he had fallen back my body only starts moving as I register the zombie, no zombies coming from the trees. One is closest, just a few feet from grabbing Sam but Natalie's there. Putting her arm up in front of her, the angles wrong.

She has those fucking arm sheaths with her throwing knives but the angle is wrong.

"Sam!" My sister screams running in behind to snatch up her son.

"Fuck! Run!" Natalie yells to her, and I see it. The zombies mouth had slid over the sheath and its mouth was on her forearm. I see her stab it in the head, I pull out my gun and shoot the next closest and then the next as I get to her. When I try to crouch next to her I can see the pain on her face, I don't think its from the bite, but from what it means. She shoves me with one hand and shakes her head. "Go, don't stop until your at camp."

I can't speak, it feels like there is a rock in my throat and I'm worried I'd break down if I say anything. So I grab the back of her head, and give her one last quick kiss. I try to put it into words, all my feelings of what could have been our future in that kiss, of how much I appreciated her and what she just sacrificed for my family.

And how sad I was that this was the end of us.