Trip

The next week was crazy planning the trip with Pepper and then getting ready to go. I was ready to get away and have some fun, maybe enjoy some time away from all that was going on in our lives. We had decided to go to a little island that grandpa had got grandma years ago. Pepper and I figured that it would be perfect to get away from the public eye after the Iron Man announcement dad had made.

I looked over to dad who was looking out the window as we flew in the private jet to the private island with Pepper. Pepper was going over things that all needed to be done in the next few weeks. Slowly I put the book I had been trying to read for the last half hour down on the table by me.

"Dad are you alright?"

"Why do you ask?"

"You seem kind of out of it like you're here but you're not."

"I'm fine, just a lot has happened in the last little while."
"I know, one of the reasons I wanted to go somewhere away from it all. Are you sure you want to be on this trip though? If you don't, that's alright I understand. You can do whatever you would like, it's your vacation as well." With a sigh, dad got up to come and sit by me and Pepper was trying to watch us without making it obvious that she was watching us.

"Sweetheart, I want to spend time with you. At the moment nothing sounds better, I just keep thinking about the promise I made to your mom."

"What do you mean?"

"Before she passed we were talking about our family birthday trip and she told me she was going away for a few days for work. Said you were staying with a friend and you would be fine, but she was not sure what would happen with the trip and that it had got her thinking about how much she traveled. Said that anything could happen at any time. She made me promise her that if anything ever happened to her that I would keep you safe and be the parent that you would need. I know I have done a pretty crap job of that. But when I saw Obadiah standing over you trying to hurt you. When he told me that he had to take care of you because you were too involved and you would keep him from doing what he wanted. I have never been more afraid, not even when I was being held, hostage. Baby girl I know I make a lot of mistakes and I promise I am trying to do and be better. Just know that you are and always will be the most important thing in my life. Even if you need to remind me at times."

"Daddy, you do know that you're a good dad. Just mom had more experience because you both were trying to keep me safe from everyone that might come after me knowing who I was. You do a great job at looking out for me and alight I might have been a little scared but I was more afraid of losing you. I have lost mom and I don't want to lose you as well dad. You're the only parent I have left and we will figure out all of this together like we always have and like we always will. No parent is ever perfect but just being here you are already so much better than so many. Plus you're a good dad because you worry about being a good one."

"I don't know how I got so lucky to have such an amazing daughter but I'm glad you are my daughter."

"Well, I'm glad you're my father." He pulled me into his side and I laid my head onto his shoulder.

"I love you, baby girl, never forget that."

"I love you, daddy, Forever." We stayed like that holding onto each other and I let myself fall asleep.

The next thing I know is I'm slowly being woken up.

"Baby girl we are here," Dad whispers to me. I open my eyes and look out the window.

Sure enough, we had landed and were here just in time for the sunset. I stood up and dad followed. We all made our way off the plane and onto the landing strip that was made. Our things were already being taken to the house and I made my way over to the dock that was not too far away to watch the sunset.