Secrets

Once I was in the club I unlocked it as it was still early no one was there yet. I walked over to the wall of pictures and looked at the one again. 'Family is the key to life.' I picked up the photo off of the wall and only saw the nail holding it. With a sigh, I went to put it back when I saw a key taped to the back of the Picture frame.

Of course, this is where they would hide it. I grabbed the key hung the frame back up and then looked at the key.

It was an old-fashioned key. A little gold one that was a long hollow stick-looking key.

Spending the next half hour looking around trying to get any kind of clue what it could open I sat down at the bar frustrated and confused.

That was when I started to look at the bar and a memory came to me.

It was the middle of the day and I was at the club with Peggy while she did something and I sat at the bar eating my milkshake while she was talking to the guys. I had just turned 7 and was spending the day with Peggy while mom worked. They walked out and I sat there swinging my legs and eating.

Once it was gone I looked around and didn't see them. I got down from the stool and started to look around.

I made my way behind the bar and looked on the other side of the shelves where I saw a little hole that was at eye level for me. I could see some light and went to push it open when it opened and Peggy was there.

"What are you doing?"

"I finished my shake and couldn't find you. What is that Peggy?" She led me away and the others came out before shutting and locking it.

"It is a secret so you can't tell anyone. One day when the time is right you will be able to come in as well but not today sweet girl."

"Tomorrow?" I asked excitedly.

"No, but one day when you can understand it all."

"Do I have to be a grown-up?"

"I don't know, only time will tell. Just know It is something your grandfather and I did to help you."

"Because you want the best for me right?"
"Always love." She took my hand and we all left.

I smiled as I remembered that day. Of course, it was perfect, you could not see it from anywhere in the club, only right in front of the door and unless you knew what to look for you would not be able to find the keyhole.

Walking behind the bar I followed the steps I had taken so many years before. In front of the door, I used the key to unlock the door.

When I heard the click I pushed the door open. I flipped the light on with the switch by the door. It opened into a room that had a table and chairs around it. I could tell it had been a while since anyone had been in the room. On the other side of the room was another door. I slowly pushed the door closed and walked to the other door which was locked. I tried the key but it didn't work.

"Of course just when I get so close to answers the door is locked again." I looked up at the wall next to me and saw a picture of grandpa and Peggy.

"Could it be that easy?" I asked out loud before feeling behind the picture to only feel another key. I smiled as I grabbed it and used it to open the door.

Walking in I saw a desk and filing cabinets. Plus I saw a projector and a film roll next to it. It was too dark to see much so I turned on the light and opened one of the drawers.

Pulling it open I was met with files and a lot of them. Opening a few more I saw more files. Grabbing one I went to set down when one of the film canisters caught my eye.