Short fantasy story

(A/n): Ok guys so I'm in a creative writing class in school and an assignment they had us do a while ago was to write a short fantasy story, well I thought about it and decided to actually copy and paste the story and share it with all of you, oh yeah and a little backstory for this is that the story I actually wrote is more of a 'takes place near the middle of the actual story' kind of story so yeah, things might be difficult to understand but fortunately I tried to make things as self-explanatory as possible.

Anyway without further ado here you go.

...

The last dragons

Cordin let out a tired gasp as he finally reached the top of the large onyx black staircase, even with all his heavy armor he managed to reach the top first.

'Sheesh, who needs that many stairs?' Cordin said fanning himself with his hand 'And considering how hot it is with this castle being right next to a Volcano you'd think that they'd want to have to do as little walking as possible'

The young knight turned behind him just in time to see his equally tired best friend Sofia finally make it to the top of the stairs before nearly collapsing but using her staff to prop herself up.

'Well this is the dragon's kingdom, the heat doesn't bother them and even if it did they could probably just fly up the stairs' Sofia said before wiping the sweat off her forehead.

The duo then looked behind them and saw their third friend Laura still lagging behind by a few steps, she was sweating a lot more than Cordin and Sofia due to the fact that she had quite a bit of fur on her due to being a Half breed of a human and fox.

'Too...many...stairs' She complained before collapsing and lying down on the stairs.

Sofia groaned before saying 'Come on Laura, whatever happened to you saying you have the most Stamina out of the three of us'

'Yeah well why don't you try to climb up a set of stairs next to a Volcano when you've got fur all over your body,' Laura complained.

'Look Laura it's just a few more steps so try and pull through it alright?' Cordin said, trying his best to encourage her.

Laura just groaned in misery before trying her best to force herself up the rest of the way up the large black steps, eventually, she made it to the top and let out a breath of relief before collapsing face-first onto the ground.

'Come on you big baby get up' Sofia said nudging her with her staff

'Please just let me lie here' Laura complained with her face still against the floor.

Cordin then stopped Sofia from nudging Laura anymore before speaking up 'Come on guys the entrance to the castle is right there' He said pointing towards the giant double stone doors that were just a few feet from them 'And from the looks of things there aren't even any guards around'

Sofia then looked around them as if just realizing that herself before saying 'Yes...actually why is that?'

Laura then pulled herself up and looked around confused before asking.

'You'd figure since this is 'the' castle of the dragon kingdom it would be a little more well guarded...so what gives'

Cordin turned back towards the castle's front doors before placing his hand on the handle to his sword before speaking 'Whatever it is it can't be good, everyone be on guard'

Sofia tightened her grip on her staff as Laura brought out her two silver daggers strapped to her sides and held them tightly as she watched from every direction waiting for any kind of ambush of sorts.