Descendants of Samhain

The grass beneath my feet made a soft crunching sound as I ran as fast as my weary body would allow me to, I risked a glance over my shoulder towards my pursuer and saw them speed walking at a steady pace easily matching mine with little to no effort.

As I ran I nearly tripped over a trees old root and fell forward but thankfully I managed to catch myself and kept on running through the old abandoned cemetery, although I was panting for breath as I ran for my life the shadowy figure just a few feet behind me didn't make a single sound that hinted out that they were tired...most likely because they weren't.

You must be wondering why a seemingly average high schooler is running for their life, and in a cemetery of all places, the answer to that question is a bit of a complicated one that ties into years of family history and such, but sadly I do not have time to explain at this very moment for my life is still in peril.

I glanced over my shoulder once again at the figure that chased me with a rusty old hatchet in its hand, although it was just a few feet behind me I couldn't see a single feature on its body, it was as if the darkness of the cemetery itself had bound together into a humanoid shape, and where the eyes of the figure should be were two tiny glowing red lights that seemed to stare right through my very soul with pure anger and hatred, not just towards me but all living things.

This...was a ghost, and not the cheap fake plastic bag kind that you'd see in a store or one of the flying white tablecloths with a cartoonish smile on them...no this was a being of pure malevolence that refused to move on and thus seeks to drag other people into the afterlife with it by any means necessary, including murder.

I could feel my fatigue growing, yet the ghost did not slow its pursuit, it was only a matter of time before I could no longer run and then...well I believe it's quite obvious what happened then.

Just when I felt that my feet were about to give it was as if some sort of divine intervention kicked in, when I had ran past one of the broken lamps that followed the broken brick roads that ran up and down the hills of the cemetery I heard a slight sparking flickering sound followed by a faint light shining from behind me followed by an inhuman scream, I spun around as I kept moving away and saw that the ghost had been caught in the middle of the bright light of the lamp and it was enough to stagger them backwards, seeing this as my chance I felt a surge or renewed vigor and ran faster then I ever had before and managed to break line of sight with the ghost before quickly ducking behind a large tombstone.

A few moments of heart racing silence later I could hear the footsteps of the ghost behind me, but they weren't coming straight towards me oh no they were walking around aimlessly, I dare not risk a glance for I didn't know if the ghost was looking in my direction or not as it wandered around, all I could do was stay hidden behind the large tombstone holding my breath and pray to god that it didn't happen to walk over towards me, finally after what felt like an eternity of agony the footsteps began to fade away.

I began to breathe slowly and quietly as I slowly peeked my head around the side of the tombstone, and thankfully all that greeted me was the darkness of the cemetery and the flickering of that lamp that had saved my life in the distance.

......

I still remember how it all came to this, it was the end of the school day and everyone was happy that it was getting close to halloween, a holiday that for whatever reason was taken especially seriously in my home town, Halloween wasn't until a few more weeks yet people were already setting out plastic pumpkins and decorations to the point it was a tad overkill.

There used to be a time where I would enjoy the halloween season, where I would look forward to getting to dress up as someone else and go door to door for free candy, a single day where everyone could pretend to be somebody else...and for any optimistic kid who wanted to be a superhero or something along those lines it truly was a time to be alive...but nowadays I feel like I've grown out of the custom.