By Your Side P2

The air was clear, something he had not expected. The pain he was feeling before he drifted off was dampened now. The low vibrations of humming soothed his worries. They came. He was safe and had no doubt that Omega was as well.

Tech laid on what he assumed to be his bunk, eyes closed. He was still exhausted, but the feeling of soreness prevented him from going back to sleep. He decided that to benefit his health and a faster recovery, he would begin to reapply the bacta. He started to sit up, immediately forgetting the idea. His back let out a sharp jab. Tech grimaced at the cramp. He squeezed the object in his left hand as the shock faded away.

A soft mumble came from just below his extended arm. Tech slightly tilted his head, craning his neck to see where the noise had originated from. He looked down, first then realizing what he was holding. Omega shifted at his sudden movements. Her light grip barely tightening.

Tech smiled, finding comfort by the small gesture.

"Tech...?" a small tired voice grumbled.

"It's alright, Omega. You can go back to sleep," his own hoarse voice responded.

In an instant her whole mood changed. "Tech!" she whisper-shouted, scrambling to her feet. "Are you feeling any better? Oh, don't move your knee by the way. Do you need more bacta? I can go fetch Echo, I think he's on watch." She threw question after question at him, noticing how he did the same sometimes.

"I've been better, thank you. More bacta would be great though." He watched as she rushed to the supply compartment, returning within a few seconds to hand him the med kit. He pushed past the pain and sat up.

Omega observed him, offering assistance whenever it looked like he needed it. After he finished, she nervously sat down next to him. Tech, picking up on her behavior prompted the question.

"Are you okay?"

Omega glanced down at her hands, messing with a lose string from her dress. "I thought you were going to die," she said quietly.

Tech felt a twinge of guilt. He wasn't conscious at the time, but she must have woken up a few minutes after he was out.

He cleared his throat, offering her a kind smile. "From what I can tell, you did a good job handling the situation. You saved me, Omega."

Omega's eyes glistened, but yet no tears fell. "It wasn't me. Wrecker saved you. I did nothing. I couldn't do anything but sit there and wait."

Tech could read that she was upset with herself. He gently turned her shoulder so he could look her in the face.

"That's false. If it weren't for your quick thinking, we would have been trapped down there longer."

Omega shrugged. "I guess so... I'm sorry you got hurt protecting me."

There it was. Tech knew there had to be something else. He couldn't imagine what was going through her head. She shouldn't have had to seen him in such a terrible state. On the other hand, he was grateful that it was him bedridden and not her.

"It was the most logical choice to—" he stopped, deciding not to go into that conversation. "It is quite alright. I never have or will hold it against you...I wouldn't have changed the outcome in any way."

Omega nestled herself against his chest, being mindful of his injuries.

At first, Tech wasn't sure what to do, but he soon caught on. He ran a hand up and down her back, noting how her breathing became shallower as time passed.

"Goodnight, Omega...and thank you."