Flying

Omega sat in the cockpit, reading the ship's manual as the rest of the batch were on a mission much too dangerous for her. Tech had promised that he would let her actually fly when she was ready. His version of ready was memorizing the whole entire manual. Omega complained about how she would never be able to know it like he did. That would take a long time and she didn't have that kind of patience. Hunter and Wrecker thought that he was being a little too harsh, but Echo backed him up saying that it was better to be safe than sorry.

The young clone blinked slowly as her eyes scanned the pages one by one. Nothing about the instructions were interesting, not even the pictures. She knew the basics, but she was more of a hands-on learner. Maybe she could convince Tech with that logic, of how most kids learn best visually. She sighed, continuing her boring assignment.

All was quiet on the Marauder. Omega felt the book slip from her hands as tiredness took over her. She was about to doze off when the doors to the cockpit swooshed open. She immediately jumped up reaching for her bow, but stopped upon seeing who it was.

"Tech!" She rushed towards her brother. Her brow furrowed in concern when she saw that his armor had a blaster shot through, barely missing his heart along with him holding his left arm that hung limply at his side. Omega looked at him in horror; blood began to drizzle down his armor.

"I'm fine, Omega," Tech said when he caught sight of her worried face.

"No you're not! You need to rest." Omega tried to lead him to an empty chair in the back of the cockpit, but he refused.

"The others, they need a pick up." He didn't expect his breathing to come out in gasps. Perhaps his injuries were more severe than he took into account, but that didn't matter at the moment.

"You're not in the right condition to fly." Omega gestured to his arm that wasn't of any use to him. She could hear how much his voice strained when he spoke.

"They won't last much longer if the Marauder doesn't come." He carried himself to the pilot's seat despite the dizziness and the heaviness of his body.

Omega shook her head. If he flew, he wouldn't make it to where they needed to be. That's when the thought struck her.

"Tech, I can fly," she said confidently, hoping that he wouldn't shoot down her solution.

Tech stared at her. "Have you memorized the handbook as I have instructed?" He watched as her hands began to play with the loose string on her dress.

"Well no, not exactly, but—"

"Then it is out of the question. You need to be prepared for anything and that requires—" Tech stopped talking as a burning pain ran through his chest, causing him to sink to the ground.

He could faintly hear Omega asking him a question, her voice panicked. Suddenly his comm was beeping too. All the noise made his head hurt worse. His brothers needed him, but he could barely focus as it was.

"Tech," Omega helped him up, settling him down in the copilot's chair. "I can fly the ship. You obviously aren't in the right shape. Besides...you'll be right here next to me. You can tell me what to do."

Tech had to admit that it wasn't a bad point. Sighing, he agreed, giving her a confirming nod.

Omega quickly sat down in the pilot's seat. A wave of nervousness and excitement buzzed through her as she started the ship.

Once in the air it wasn't too hard to keep the Marauder steady. Every once in a while she would have to swerve it back on course.

"From here, make a right. After that, angle the nose down and enter that circle area. The base is in the ground. Hunter and the others should be waiting on a platform near the top," Tech instructed.