Regret

The Havoc Marauder landed comfortably between a nest of trees. It was dark; the stars were already dotting the sky.

Hunter finished cleaning his knife, quickly attaching it back in it's rightful place as the others came into the cockpit.

"Alright boys, this one should be an easy out and in run. The facility is about 5 klicks from our position. We'll leave in an hour or so."

Wrecker's eyes lit up. "Does that mean we get to blow the place up after?"

Hunter shook his head, but couldn't help the smile that spread across his lips. "Yes, Wrecker. You can blow the base up."

"Oh yeah!" Wrecker pumped his fist in the air, with a huge grin on his face.

"Try not to set anything off until after  we are a reasonable distance away," Tech called, running after Wrecker who went to his rack to pick out the explosives for the mission.

Echo raised an eyebrow before turning back to Hunter. "I'm going to look over the blueprints again. Can't hurt to double check."

"Double is a stretch," Hunter teased, in which he received an unamused expression.

"You'll be thanking me one day," Echo muttered on his way out.

"What's the mission about?" a curious voice piped up, startling the Sargent. Hunter's gaze landed on the young girl he thought was still sound asleep in her bed.

"An artifact that one of Cid's clients wants. Don't know much about it, but whatever it is, it's pretty valuable."

"Sounds exciting! What's my job this time?" She looked at him with shining eyes. Hunter rubbed the back on his neck. He hated to be the one to tell her and yet he always was left to do it.

"Omega, as much as I appreciate that you want to help, you're staying put on this one."

"But I—Why?"

Hunter lowered himself to her level, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Because, it's dangerous and requires a lot of experience."

Omega wriggled out from under his hand. "I won't get any experience on the ship," she reasoned, expecting Hunter to agree.

"This isn't up for discussion. You're staying here."

"That's not fair!" Omega shouted a little too loud. She tensed as Hunter stood up, a cold expression was on his face.

"What was that?" he asked, the softness in his words now gone.

"How come I have to stay behind almost every time? I'm not useless, you know." She knew she was treading on dangerous waters, but seeing as she already started she decided to continue.

"Go to your room, now!" Hunter met her tone, pointing to the door.

"No. I'm going," she managed to say despite her racing heart. The fire in her was growing by the second.

"I said, Go.To.Your.Room." The iciness in his voice sent a chill down her spine, but she still refused to give up.

"No. I want to go on the mission," she restated more firmly, glaring at the man in front of her. "I don't see why you won't let me. I—"

"That's enough!" Hunter wrapped a hand around her upper arm, leading her to the gunner's nest. "I gave you an order and you will follow it."

Omega tugged at his hand. "Hunter stop! Ugh, I hate you!" She found success as she was able to peel his fingers off of her. She saw that the doors to the Marauder were left open. Without a second thought, she bolted for the woods.

"Omega!" she heard him yell, but she didn't care. She dodged the other three sets of hands that tried to grab her and ran until the ship was no longer in sight.

She planted herself on a rock, crossing her arms over her chest. It was only her and the nature of the planet.

"Why won't he let me. I can take care of myself. I've been kidnapped and escaped by on my own. I even rescued them before and he still thinks I can't handle a stupid mission?!" Omega ranted to the darkness of the forest. "Can't he see that I'm capable?" she asked a bit quieter.

Of course she received no response except for the occasional chirping of insects. The longer she sat, the more time she spent thinking about the argument.

I hate you!

Omega felt her face start to burn. She never meant to say those words, they just came out without thinking. She didn't hate Hunter, she could never hate him. A tear rolled past her chin, but she quickly wiped it away.

"I'm sorry, Hunter," she cried silently. After her eyes had no more tears left to cry, she forced herself to head back. She recited her apology over and over, hoping that it was good enough. She would beg for forgiveness if she had to.

Omega caught sight of Hunter and the rest of the batch searching nearby. The guilt made her sick. They were all looking for her.

With a low head, she walked over to Hunter, unable to meet his gaze.

"Hunter, I'm really sorry that I ran off. I understand if you want to send me back after how I talked to you and—" She was cut off by arms being thrown around her.

"Don't ever run out like that again. You had the boys and I worried sick."

Omega hesitantly wrapped her arms around his neck, but soon melted into the embrace.

"I don't hate you, Hunter. I'm sorry I said that. I swear I didn't mean it," she found herself crying again into the crook of his neck.

Hunter shushed her, patting her back gently. "I know you didn't mean it. Sometimes we say things we don't mean in the moment."

"I'm still sorry. I was rude and didn't listen to your orders."

Hunter pulled her back, his grey eyes meeting with her light brown ones. "I know you're sorry. I forgive you, only if you promise to never scare me like that again. Deal?" He whisked a curl away from her small face before holding a hand out to her.

Omega smiled faintly, placing her little hand in his, giving it a firm shake.