Hand to Hand

Lama Su stood before the holotable. Since his property was returned to him, experiments began immediately. He didn't waste any time to put the girl through grueling tests, both mental and physical. Nala Se had told him that she was strong enough to be the template, but he preferred to see with his own eyes. While the child was impressive for someone her age, she wasn't what he would consider a soldier, meaning she had no further use to him.

Omega sat in her cell. She rested her back against the wall. She carefully traced the newly marked cuts on her forearms from the many needles injected into her. She hated every second of it. The pain wasn't even the worst part. The worst was that she was all alone with the Kaminoans. It scared her because they never talked. The only thing she could concentrate on was her own silent whimpers. She didn't dare make a sound. She knew better. The beeping of the machines filled the air; the most unpleasant sound to her ears.

"Where are you guys," she whispered, bringing her knees to her chest to try and make herself smaller. It was the only time in her life that she wanted to go unnoticed.

Her head perked up as footsteps neared her cell. For a brief second she expected Hunter to come rushing through. He would ask her if she was okay before shielding her from all the dangers of her home.

It wasn't Hunter though. The thought was nothing but a childish wish.

"Come on, kid. You're needed in Mistress Nala Se's private lab." The trooper snagged her wrist, pulling her along.

Omega didn't try to escape. She already tried when she arrived, but it was too late to realize what a mistake it was. She was instantly stunned and dragged to the brig.

The TK trooper pushed her forward. She stumbled and fell as the door swooshed tightly behind her. Shaking her head, she pushed herself back to her feet.

"Hello, Omega." Lama Su towered above her with a cold expression plastered on his face.

Omega gulped, unaware of how much plight she was in.

"Where's Nala Se?" she asked, expecting to see the head scientist. Despite hating her life on the water planet, she didn't despise Nala Se.

"She's busy attending to other matters," Lama Su clipped. " I have one last test for you." He gestured for her to follow him.

"Last?" Omega tilted her head.

"Yes. Once I finish, I promise you won't have to do anymore." Lama Su clasped his hands behind his back, standing next to the medical table at the far side of the room.

Omega was skeptical at first, but the thought of never having to do any more experiments gave her something to look forward to. She hesitantly hopped on the table, willing to let herself be strapped down. She took a deep breath, ready for the end of the torture.

The procedure didn't take long. Omega woke up groggily, a loose bandage wrapped around her arm. She swung her legs over the side of the table, waiting for the next instructions.

"Oh good, you're up." Lama Su held a syringe in his hand, coming closer to her.

"I thought you said no more?" Omega reminded him, but he ignored her, pricking the needle into her neck.

"This is necessary, Omega. It will...help you not to suffer."

Gunshots were heard down the hall just as he pulled the needle out. Omega had never seen him so panicked. He dropped the syringe, swiftly walking over to the panel, locking the entrance.

She wanted to know what was happening. Were they under attack? The Empire wouldn't, they needed Kamino.

She felt an arm hoist her up by the waist. Whatever Lama Su had given her, it wasn't good. Her head began to pound. Even the dim lights hurt her eyes. She was tossed into a small clear pod, the door sealing behind her.

Omega looked around, her fear setting in.

"No, please! Let me out!" She pounded her fist on the glass, shouting her pleas. The politician stared at her with an icy glare. To think she believed a word he said.

"I've attained what was needed. You are no longer useful to the Empire," he sneered, pulling a lever next to the tube.

Omega covered her head as a thick blue goo came pouring down over her, quickly filling the space.

"No!" she shrieked, the solution already up to her hip. Lama Su watched as the girl took one last breath of air before fleeing.

Hunter heard the faint cry of a child. His protective instincts kicked upon recognizing the voice.

"Echo, Crosshair, Tech, stay here. Wrecker, you're with me," he ordered, taking one last shot at the new group of troopers.

Wrecker followed him down a long hall, to the last room. He tried the pad, but the slab of metal didn't budge.

"I got it, Sarge," Wrecker yelled, using his knife to pry the door open. Hunter raised his blaster as he stepped into the room.

It was dark. The lights had been turned off, leaving nothing but the glowing hue of several tubes lined up on the side of the farthest wall. Hunter examined the room, finding no signs of life.

"She's here, I know she is," he protested.

"Hunterrr, we got company!" Wrecker suddenly shouted as footsteps neared them. He stepped out to give the Sargent more time.

Hunter nodded, glancing around again. He was about to leave, thinking he made a mistake until a soft knocking sound pierced through the lab.

In the last tube almost tucked away in the corner was a young girl, her small hand pressed against the side of the glass.

"Omega!" he shouted, racing towards her. "Omega, don't worry. You're going to be fine." He looked at the control panel, but found that it was destroyed. His next idea was to just take care of the glass completely, withdrawing with a knife. He wouldn't leave her.

Omega's heart sank. She knew the glass wouldn't break. These tubes were so secure, modified to be indestructible. She felt her lungs begin to burn. She knew what was going to happen.

Hunter threw his vibro-knife on the ground in defeat. He failed. Again. He looked up at the girl watching him. Her eyes were full of sorrow.

"No, I'll find a way. Just a little longer, Omega," he begged.

"Hunter," she mouthed, losing precious oxygen by doing so.

Hunter felt tears starting to weld up. He couldn't do anything but watch. Watch as she died before him. He gently placed his own hand right up to hers, taking a hitched breath, letting the tears fall.

The light started to fade. Her lungs were on fire as she rested her eyes for the final time.

The last face Omega ever saw was her buir.