Memories

Tech tossed and turned. For once the Marauder was silent, aside from Wrecker's loud snores echoing just across the room. The last mission had left him a little beat up, but nothing he couldn't handle, although the soreness wasn't a pleasant feeling. His body was begging him for rest as his eyelids drooped, but his mind was wild. He was never good at clearing it. He seemed to always be thinking of something, whether it be a new project, mission details or random information he picked up, his brain just couldn't stop coming up with new ideas. Finally, after what seemed like hours, he could feel himself drifting off.

     Tech found himself standing in a white room. One he had been in many times before. He shrugged off the illusion.

"Huh, I'm dreaming," he stated, noting how he hadn't had a dream in a while.

He glanced around the cafeteria on Kamino, taking in the surroundings that his mind fabricated. How he ended up there was beyond him. Kamino was the last place he wanted to return to. Hunter, Echo, Crosshair and Wrecker sat at a table on the other side from where he was. It was like every other day back on the water planet.

"Hey, defect!" a shrill voice called out. Tech turned his head, coming face to face with another clone. A reg.

"Yeah, I'm talking to you," the reg sneered, pointing a finger up close in his face." What are you doing here? Get away from our table. We don't want you anywhere near us, mess up."

Tech backed away. He knew better than to start a fight with the regs. He didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

"I was just going," Tech said quickly, ready to peacefully leave the clones.

"Not so fast." The reg shoved him forward, sending him flying into one of his squad mates who in response shoved him back to another one.

Tech gulped as his arm was pinned behind his back. He suddenly felt small. Within a blink of an eye he was surrounded by a group of cadets. He looked down realizing how he too was a cadet.

"What even are you?" one remarked, poking him in the chest.

"Why would the Kaminoans let a defect live? He'll just end up like 99." Another smirked to his friends.

"Look, he even has goggles." The cadet laughed, reaching for his face.

"No! Please, I need them." Tech flinched, moving his head to the side. He looked around, desperate for Hunter, Wrecker or Crosshair. They would surely help him. He needed them.

"Tell you what, we'll let you go—" The boy in the middle of the circle said with a patronizing tone.

Tech looked up, not being able to tell if he was being serious or not.

" —After you manage to defeat all of us. Prove you're good enough to be a clone."

He didn't expect the first blow to come so soon. He felt his abdomen explode with pain. Without any time to recover, more and more fists came in contact with him. He was outnumbered with no way of escaping.

"P-Please! Stop!" he cried as he was tossed to the ground. Heavy boots kicking at his ribs, arms and legs. "It hurts!"

The ringleader held a hand up, silencing the rest. "That's too bad," he said before giving him one last kick to the stomach. "Come on guys, he's not worth it." He spat at the clone curled up with blood trickling down his face, bruises already starting to form.

Tech waited for them to leave. The second they were gone, he sat up, holding an arm over his torso. His goggles were cracked along with his multiple afflictions.

"What did I do?" he asked in a small hoarse voice.

Tech snapped his head up too fast, accidentally hitting the top of it on the bunk above. He held a hand to his forehead as a single teardrop of blood ran down the front of his face, absorbing into his blacks.

"Tech?" a soft and worried voice rang out.

Hunter gently set down the series of paints that Omega was using from earlier and swiftly walked over to his bunk.

"Tech, what's wrong? Are you alright?"

Tech nodded, not wanting to speak for fear of letting his emotions take over. It was only a dream after all, but one based on true events that he never wanted to relive.

"Nightmare?" Hunter asked quietly as he sat down next to him. Tech didn't mind though.

"Cadets," he choked out, swallowing the lump in his throat.

Hunter felt a burning hatred inside of him. For some reason, the regs, even though all of them were defective, they seemed interested in going after Tech the most. If it wasn't for their squad, the bullying would have gotten way out of control...more than it already had. Hunter had vowed to always look after his younger brother. He did all that he could to make sure he was safe and protected. Even if it was from their own.

"I'm sorry, Tech," Hunter whispered, wrapping an arm around him. He could feel his vod'ika shaking, causing his heart to hurt. "I promise, they can't hurt you anymore."